By Irena Guzelova in Tetovo
Published: FT March 18 2001 21:53GMT | Last Updated: March 18 2001 21:56GMT



Artan Skenderi is the owner of one of the Albanian language television
stations in the town of Tetovo, the second-largest town in Macedonia, and now
the site of clashes between Macedonian police units and ethnic Albanian
guerrillas. "This has taken us all by surprise. We have no control," he says.
"Events are developing over our heads."

Outside his office on Saturday, Tetovo's streets were eerily quiet. Occasional
shots cracked from the hill overlooking the town, where Macedonian police have
taken up positions, firing into the woods above them.

The speed with which the ethnic Albanian insurgency in Macedonia has spread
has surprised not only Mr Skenderi and other local Albanians but also the
international community and the Macedonian government. What until a week ago
was a practically unheard-of group calling itself the National Liberation Army
(NLA) now poses the greatest threat to the country since it gained
independence in 1992.

Macedonia's government says some 500 well-equipped and well-trained ethnic
Albanian rebels are entrenched in the hills north of Tetovo, estimating that
three-quarters have come over the border from Kosovo. They have been joined by
unknown numbers of ethnic Albanian hardliners from Macedonia, and there are
some signs that the violence is polarising the community.

Menduh Thaci, deputy leader of the DPA, the ethnic Albanian party which shares
power in the governing coalition, has warned, for instance, that his party's
popularity has slipped since the current round of violence started last month.

Before the trouble erupted, the DPA had received wide-spread support for its
efforts to improve Albanian representation in the workplace by working
together with the Slav majority.

"I don't want somebody from the outside to come and liberate me. I really
thought we had rid Macedonia from politics of ethnic extremism, but now I'm
very worried," says Iso Rusi, editor of the Albanian language magazine Lobi.
He warned against a heavy-handed response, saying such action would raise
nationalist sentiment: "That would be like oil on fire."

The current trouble began around the village of Tanusevci, on the border with
Kosovo, and a well-known smuggling haven. Tanusevci had, for a long time, been
overlooked by both Nato and Macedonian troops, but an agreement settling the
border dispute between Yugoslavia and Macedonia signed on February 23 led to
stricter patrols, sparking clashes between Macedonian police and ethnic
Albanian smugglers, which led to the deaths of three Macedonian police.

Two weeks after the initial shoot-out, the insurgents issued a statement
calling for improved rights for Albanians in Macedonia. This immediately
raised fears that they are seeking to carve out a separate ethnically pure
state.

The speed with which this rag-tag group of bandits has transformed itself into
a force capable of launching an attack against the country's second-largest
town has baffled everyone and raised speculation of outside interference.

Zoran Kusovak, an analyst with Janes' Information Group, urges the Macedonian
security service to deal with the situation quickly and efficiently, and snuff
out the insurgency before it gains further strength. "It's gaining momentum
and if this escalates it will be very difficult to stop."

Like many observers, he recognises the Macedonian government's dilemma but is
puzzled over why they have not managed to push the insurgents back.

Mr Kusovak criticises the largely defensive response of the Macedonian
security forces to the trouble on the hills outside Tetovo. Despite bombarding
guerrilla positions with shells and mortars, the security forces have so far
barely moved an inch further up the hillside since the fighting erupted on
Wednesday.




_______________________________________________
CrashList website: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base

Reply via email to