Dear Conal, All,

Your arguments well taken, we are still obliged in formal ontologies to have explicit semantics. The use described by Robert, which fulfills a real need, appears here as "emergent semantics" from the community, which deviates fromthe W3C definition. I argue that this can be formulated in quite precise terms, similar to what Robert formulated, and then there will be not need to talk about a lack of semantics.
I'd like to settle that until the end of the next meeting.

Let us distinguish
a) "values" which are points or areas in abstract mathematical spaces, from
b) symbolic objects in the form of linear sequences of machine-encodeable symbols
c) things that cannot exist in a digital form.

For c) no "value" can be given. We have the classical Pierce's referent and referree situation.
For those guys we use names, in particular identifiers.

Only objects of the form b) can reside on machines, if they have the storage capacity. So, from all things a formal ontology talks about, only for those we think of not only talking about them in machines, but also
putting them into machines.

Then the question is: Is the identity-providing content in a Literal in my database, in a digital file, or on a paper document?

For a) , only subsets in finite machine encodeable form can reside in machines. In that case, the encoded form is not the a) guy itself, but a guy of type b), which is interpreted not as a type b), but a type a) guy.

Names in particular, if their identity is given as DEFINED as a linear sequences of machine-encodeable symbols, are type b) guys, but that does not imply the type c) guy they may identify or not.

Therefore, if we distinguish the 3 cases, we can have perfect semantics, and then talk about how to encode the cases. Nothing mysterious, but we must understand the above distinctions, which are not within a logical space, but between logical spaces and the world around.

I hope this makes things clearer!

Comments welcome.

Best,

Martin