Dear Martijn,

A better formulation is always welcome!

Logically, it is correct: "no stability of form is required" does NOT exclude stability of form. I give explicitly the example "the sequence of layers of a bore core". The point is, that we take a sample for a particular feature it will be a witness for. The identity of the sample and its duration of existence as a sample depends on the kind of feature that needs to be preserved, be it a stratigraphy, a chemical composition or whatever. Consequently, it can be diminished quite substanstially without loosing this identity, whereas other impacts may not change its discreteness as a stable piece of matter, but destroy the relevant composition.

Proposals welcome.

Best,

Martin