Hey all,

So I have been working with upstream u-boot, and we are gotten to a
point where we have a common set of config options defined that we can
be sure will be there. Next step is working on setting a common
environment. The preferred boot format will be syslinux style config
with boot.scr also supported. tegra boards and raspberry pi default to
reading a extlinux.conf file and falling back to boot.scr if it doesnt
exist, with more platforms in progress of being moved over. There has
been work to make it so that lots of extra noise is not printed on
screen. longer term BootLoaderSpec support will also be implemented.

a working extlinux.conf file is

# extlinux.conf generated by appliance-creator
ui menu.c32
menu autoboot Welcome to Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-rawhide-20140211-test. Automatic
boot in # second{,s}. Press a key for options.
menu title Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-rawhide-20140211-test Boot Options.
menu hidden
timeout 1
totaltimeout 600

label Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-rawhide-20140211-test
(3.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc21.armv7hl)
        kernel /vmlinuz-3.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc21.armv7hl
        append ro root=UUID=1cd5dcc6-074d-4364-b606-a9a62b498166
        fdtdir /dtb-3.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc21.armv7hl/
        initrd /initramfs-3.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc21.armv7hl.img

though menu support still needs some work you do get a menu and can
select 1, 2, 3, etc

the ftddir which can also be devicetreedir specifies a directory where
u-boot can find dtb files. u-boot itself will know which dtb file to
load for the current board. alternatively you can use fdt or devicetree
to specify the exact dtb file to load. other than the dtb support its
stock standard syslinux config file. which gives a much more usable
experience to users and takes away any need to know memory addresses or
to wrap things with mkimage.   you can if you want but raw kernel and
initramfs support is enabled and just works.  the end result is
something more familiar and simple to users.

Just wanted to give you an update to the emails I sent last year to
follow up and give a brief status update.  any questions please ask.
The end goal is to have it so that distros don't need to care about
making sure we do things differently for each soc or board. We can just
work everywhere.

Dennis