Hi folks,

It's probably worth sharing something I found yesterday, running
Debian Wheezy binaries on a couple of different ARMv8 machines...

libgc embeds a copy of libatomic-ops, and until very recently,
libatomic-ops has been continuing to use (deprecated) CP15 barriers
[1] when building for ARMv7 instead of the recommended DMB
instruction. On v7 machines that's been working fine, but v8 does not
support these old-style barriers at all. I found this trying to run
w3m, and it failed immediately with "Illegal instruction". There's
ongoing discussion about a kernel patch for arm64 to catch this
exception (and others) [2], but it's not gone upstream yet. Other
packages that I can see using ligbc on Debian are:

asymptote
chase
debfoster
ecl
fauhdlc
gcc-3.3
goo
guile-2.0
inkscape
kaya
neko
parser
stalin
synopsis
w3m

There may be quite a few more using older versions of libatomic-ops
too - be warned. :-(

[1] e.g. mcr 15, 0, r3, cr7, cr10, {5}
[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/361430

Cheers,