FWIW, I agree with Ed and Christian. My standing guidance to contributors
to Eclipse ICE is to keep their contributions below the limit so that I can
review them personally. If they go above the limit by just a little then I
ask them to split it, but if they break it by 100 lines or so I just submit
it for IP review.

I've never had a review of this type take longer than two weeks after I
submitted it (I think). As previously suggested, I imagine that ECE just
got it the way.

Jay
On Nov 19, 2015 6:44 AM, "Christian Campo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I totally agree on this and I definitly think that blank lines shouldnt
> count. :-)
>
> And since quit a lot of the IP personal was at ECE that probably didnt
> speed up this case.
>
> I did a quick search on ipzilla and did find this….
>
> https://dev.eclipse.org/ipzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_des
> c_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=Gerrit
> +code+contribution&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_
> type=allwords&keywords=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&em
> ailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&
> bugidtype=include&bug_id=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=
> doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&valu
> e0-0-0=
>
>
> Not many cases are resolved and most are very very new so maybe the review
> triggered through Gerrit is a new thing that needs some time for the IP
> Team to get used to…. (I searched for „Gerrit code contribution“ in the
> comment“)
>
> christian
>
> Am 19.11.15, 11:47 schrieb "[email protected]
> on behalf of Ed Merks" unter <[email protected]
> on behalf of [email protected]>:
>
> >Yes, I believe it's an important aspect of Eclipse that makes it stand
> >out as the best place to be if you want the broadest possible community
> >of adopters.   Of course this benefit doesn't come without a cost and of
> >course that can be frustrating.   In a specific case of a contribution
> >that consists of a relatively smaller changes to the framework/tool with
> >a relatively larger addition of test case(s), it would seem reasonable
> >to split the two, if it's important that the change to the
> >tools/framework show up as quickly as possible.
> >
> >I certainly don't suggest gaming the system, though I do tend to point
> >out to the IP committee all the ways it can be gamed, and will be gamed
> >by developers who are frustrated and don't take the issue seriously.  I
> >ask questions such as how long can a line be?  One can fit quite a lot
> >on a line line and reformat it later.  Also, why should a blank line
> >count for anything?  Is a line with just a curly brace on it really
> >IP?   And yes, of course I make them aware that contributions can be
> >split into smaller chunks...
> >
> >Perhaps this specific review period overlapped with EclispeCon Europe
> >where we had the pleasure of spending personal time with the with the IP
> >staff...
> >
> >
> >On 19/11/2015 11:31 AM, Christian Campo wrote:
> >> Wouldnt it be worth to hear what the IP Team has to say why this took so
> >> long ? I see that Sharon appologized on the CQ that it took so long.
> >>That
> >> made me believe that this was an exception.
> >>
> >> Does every CQ with 1000 lines take so long ? What is the experience of
> >> others about reviews with code contributions.
> >> As I remember vaguely (and that might be incorrect) the IP team runs
> >> automatic scans over the code, but I am not sure what else they do.
> >>
> >> I for once believe the work of the IP Team is important and one of the
> >> core values of the EF vs say Github and I take it serious.
> >>
> >> Just my 2 cents
> >>
> >> christian
> >>
> >> Am 19.11.15, 11:22 schrieb "
> [email protected]
> >> on behalf of Sievers, Jan" unter
> >> <[email protected] on behalf of
> >> [email protected]>:
> >>
> >>> If everybody tells me there are ways to dodge around that rule (and of
> >>> course I know there are), the question arises why do we have the rule
> >>>in
> >>> the first place. Seems a little absurd to me.
> >>>
> >>> the effort is not minimal if I have to artificially split up commits.
> >>> Or maybe you expect me to explain to contributors:
> >>>
> >>> "look, we have this process but nobody takes it serious anyway. so
> >>>please
> >>> split up your commit into several < 1000 LOC chunks" ?
> >>>
> >>> Best Regards,
> >>> Jan
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On 19/11/15 11:00, "[email protected] on
> >>> behalf of Ed Willink" <[email protected] on
> >>> behalf of [email protected]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Hi
> >>>>
> >>>> Presumably you put tests in a separate plugin, so splitting off the
> >>>> tests as a separate contribution gets you twice the limit with minimal
> >>>> effort.
> >>>>
> >>>> Perhaps a 10000 line limit might be appropriate for non-deliverable
> >>>>code
> >>>> such as tests and build tools.
> >>>>
> >>>>      Regards
> >>>>
> >>>>          Ed Willink
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On 19/11/2015 09:49, Sievers, Jan wrote:
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> in the course of
> >>>>>
> >>>>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=477328
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> we had a contribution that slightly exceeded 1000 lines and thus
> >>>>> needed a CQ.
> >>>>> It took about one month to review it.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I am sure the legal team does its very best to keep up with the load,
> >>>>> so the following is in no way a criticism of the
> >>>>> people who actually do the legal review.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Rather take it as food for thought to whoever set up this rule.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> IMHO the 1000 line rule is effectively setting the wrong incentives
> >>>>> for a thriving opensource project.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Here is why I think so:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> The most diligent contributors add a lot of tests to their patch to
> >>>>> prove it works.
> >>>>> This is a good thing and we actively encourage contributors to
> >>>>> thoroughly test.
> >>>>> Test code can easily outweigh productive code being tested in terms
> >>>>>of
> >>>>> LOC.
> >>>>> However this means the most diligent contributors, i.e. the ones you
> >>>>> want to attract, are more likely to hit the 1000 line limit.
> >>>>> Instead of thanking them for their hard work, we effectively punish
> >>>>> them with an extra month or more wait time before their patch can be
> >>>>> merged.
> >>>>> Apart from that, the 1000 line limit seems arbitrary to me because
> >>>>> technically you can split up any commit into any number
> >>>>> of smaller commits below the 1000 line limit.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Best Regards,
> >>>>> Jan
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> >>>>> [email protected]
> >>>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or
> >>>>> unsubscribe from this list, visit
> >>>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
> >>>>>
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> >>>> [email protected]
> >>>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or
> >>>>unsubscribe
> >>> >from this list, visit
> >>>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> >>> [email protected]
> >>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> >> >from this list, visit
> >>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------
> >> compeople AG
> >> Untermainanlage 8
> >> 60329 Frankfurt/Main
> >> fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
> >> fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
> >> web: www.compeople.de
> >>
> >> Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
> >> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz
> >>
> >> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
> >> Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
> >> USt-IdNr. DE207665352
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> >> [email protected]
> >> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> >>from this list, visit
> >> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> >[email protected]
> >To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> >from this list, visit
> >https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------
> compeople AG
> Untermainanlage 8
> 60329 Frankfurt/Main
> fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
> fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
> web: www.compeople.de
>
> Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
> Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
> USt-IdNr. DE207665352
> -------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
> [email protected]
> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
> from this list, visit
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev
_______________________________________________
cross-project-issues-dev mailing list
[email protected]
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from 
this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev

Reply via email to