On Feb 1, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Jonathan Wheeler wrote:

> I was rather hoping that there might be an update on this?
>
> I spent considerable time researching this problem and while I now
> have sufficient work arounds in place to have a usable (a
> regrettably forced 32-bit) system, I remain concerned that this
> problem isn't unique to my setup.
>
>> From what I've seen to date, anyone that tries to use opensolaris
>> under VMware esx on 64-bit hardware (the majority now in 2009!),
>> will be unable to use crossbow.
>
> That's quite a biggie don't you agree?

Jonathan,

This is not a Crossbow issue. There isn't much we can do from Crossbow
running in a guest if the packets are not even passed up to the
emulated e1000g in that guest. VMware should allow you you to pass
these unicast packets up to the VM and put the underlying physical NIC
in promiscuous mode.

There no easy way to workaround this problem from the guest beside
putting the virtual e1000g NIC in promiscuous mode, using snoop for
example. For the long term we were planning to allow a user to specify
from dladm(1M) that a VNIC should not be using a hardware unicast
slot, which would as a side effect put the underlying NIC in
promiscuous mode and help in your case.

For the short term you may want to try a different VM host. For
example I've tried this from VirtualBox in the past and it works fine
with an emulated e1000g.

Nicolas.

--
Nicolas Droux - Solaris Kernel Networking - Sun Microsystems, Inc.
droux at sun.com - http://blogs.sun.com/droux