> Having the server of a plugin 'patch' objects loaded from the map itself
> seems to me to be a pretty horrible hack.  I know from a debugging side of
> thing, having a bug with an object in some odd state, and not even being
> sure how it got that way is a pain.  This also seems to be pretty
> problematic in terms of specific objects on specific maps (the NPC that
> gives out the quest info, for example).

Just a precision: not talking about "patching" / "modifying" objects, just
adding event handlers in inventory.

>   In terms of script language, I think that is almost a different
> discussion - if python isn't sufficient or overly bloated, and we should
> move to something else, we should do that, but I don't think that should be
> an immediate design concern either.
>
>   I forsee that if lua (or other language) is added as a quest specific
> script language, it wouldn't be long before it probably would turn into a
> full blown scripting language.

Yes, that's another discussion :)
But for instance Windows users don't always have Python installed, thus
requiring it needs adding and maintaining links to Python packages, things
like that.

Nicolas