I'd also say it could go, and probably doesn't need to be replaced.

  A few other notes I recall about it:

- A goal was not only to mimic weather, but also try and mimic and alter the
environment.  For example, if an area that currently had forest never got rain,
it would turn to desert, or if desert got bunches of rain, it would turn to
grass or forest.

  A problem with that is that I think the world is laid out how folks want it,
so it would actually be annoying to have the great forest disappear and turn
into a desert (certain maps and quests correspond to actual terrain, like the
ruins are in the northern desert)

- Related was the idea of different plants (herbs) that could be harvested
spawning based on right conditions - eg, this area gets right amount of rain
fall, has right temperature, and so ginseng would grow there.

  While that could still be nice, probably better ways to do it.  One could
come
up with basic rules of where certain things grow (this only grows in plains,
only in hills, etc).  And then at a map level, could have some basic climate
information which dictates things further.

  For example, ginseng might grow in grassland in warm areas, and beladona in
grasslands in cold climates.  The map information itself could dictate if
something is a warm or cold climate (while some world map tiles may be on the
both, in general, I think that resolution would be enough)  That could get the
different plants growing without the need for an entire weather system.