> What purpose can sound_chance even be put to in such quantity that it makes
> such sweeping arch changes reasonable?  If an item/action produces sound,
> it is very difficult to conceive of a logical reason for.  I.e.  Explode
> this bomb and 9 out of 10 times the massive, concussive blast produces no
> sound for absolutely no obvious reason.  I suppose a door could randomly
> squeak, but even then, silence vs. squeak seems less than ideal  It would
> be better to have an alternate sound instead of silence.
>
> I think that sound_chance should be dispensed with, however, it would be
> possible to return the server to functionality without massive arch changes
> by simply changing the sound_chance 0 to be equivalent to sound_chance 100
> at the point where the check is made before the sound is played, perhaps
> on grounds that a sound-making device probably will rarely need to not
> make a noise.

I retract the "I think sound_chance should be dispensed with".  I finally
found the mail list note that mentioned some changes to sound so it could
support random ambient sounds to improve overall immersion in the game
environment...  Still, the idea that 0 behaves the same as 100 seems
compatible with this.  Any objections?

Kevin