>   But is the client assembling these images, or have all these images been
> pre-assembled on the server (and thus, they are valid images)?

That's one my questions, and something I'm asking other people for opinion :)

Two options, server sends all needed faces at the same time ("overlays to the
player face") ; or server sends a special face the client knows to be a
combination of faces.

>   If the client is left to do this layering, then somehow, it needs to know
> what faces to layer for any given object (typically players, but one could
> see reason to add this to monsters).

Overlays will be attached to a face in the map2 command, so a specific layer.

>   From my reading, which could be wrong, it sounds like the server would
> have these composite images - thus, the server itself would have a lot
> more images, but really no change in the protocol is needed - the server
> would just know to use different faces and send those to the client, which
> would just display it.

That's what I'm thinking about. Server has all images, and looks for correct
animations.

>   For a small number of combinations, that works pretty well.  But if you
> start to have multiple things you may layer, the combinations multiply up
> pretty fast. For example, weapon + armor + aura could be hundreds of new
> images (say 5 weapons, 5 armors, and 5 auras = 125).  These would all have
> to either be images in the arch directory tree, or created during the
> collect process.

Err no, I see it as 5 weapons, 5 armors, and 5 auras. And they get stacked to
produce the final picture.

Regards

Nicolas
--