On 10/21/11 09:54 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:

Seems interesting, yes. For spells, something like increased range, or
why not having the "fire all around you instead of a cone" be an ability
too?

   Actually, you can do that right now - just fire in direction 0.

My proposal of course implied to remove that feature for spells, unless you
have the matching ability :)

After all, firing in all directions at the same time isn't that easy to do, is
it?

True. There could also be modifications for other spells - maybe at some level, you get a 'split bolt' ability, so when cast, you get a triple wide bolt (split would suggest 2, but with the aligning of spaces, that would be a headache to know what other space it goes down).

Such an ability may increase casting time and increase mana cost, but things like that could be done.

Instead of 360° cones, maybe also have something that allows 180° cones instead of the current 90° cones.

   For spells, since there are already a lot of them, I'm not as concerned
about tweaking them.  But for many of the other skills, abilities need to
be determined.

There are too many, even... Especially redundant ones (small, medium and large
variants).

Yep - I know revamping spells has been suggested to remove the variants. One could boil it down to the basic - bolt, cone, ball. Now one might still need the different elements (fire, ice, lightning, earth) just to tie properly to skills, having small/medium/large varieties of each may not be needed. Perhaps at some level, being able to do 'medium ball' spells is an ability that is learned, and applies to all ball spells you may do - that reduces number of spells somewhat.

I'd have to think how to do it, but perhaps chaos versions require a minimal level in all the different elements (since you are mixing them).

This goes a bit beyond the initial skill system - the new skill system may make it easier to do these features. But my higher priority is getting the combat skills sorted out.

As an aside, I'm thinking of setting up an arch & server branch for this (the maps really should not need changing on this). My main thought is that this is going to be a pretty radical change in how things work for players, and so servers probably need some time to adjust (and probably some time is needed just to balance this out before going live on servers).

Now I could work to make it so that both skill systems are available in the same code base, and by tweaking config values, you get one or the other, but long term, this is a big enough change, there is no way both can be supported. And in many ways, cleaning up the code now makes sure the code gets cleaned up, vs putting it off to some point in the future.