On 11/03/2013 13:56, Mark Wedel wrote:
> The KP_<name> seem to depend on if numlock is on or off, so in theory
> can go, but at same time, I suspect would apply to non sun keyboards if
> numlock is off.  That said, hitting numlock is not hard, although
> perhaps a warning in the client could be added (Your numlock key is off
> - movement via the keypad will not work until you turn it on) type of
> thing.  I believe there is some way to get that status with gtk.

In my opinion, the client should only accept the arrow keys when the
number lock is off. That said, I don't see a reason to change this now
since it really isn't broken.

>  Not specific to that, but I suspect people playing on laptops/notebooks
> lack the numeric keypad, and just using the 4 direction keys is limiting
> (there are probably circumstances where you really need to move or fire
> diagonally)

I'm a regular user of the NetHack-style layout. It was working before
the new patches were introduced; somehow it seems to be in conflict with
the arrow keys. I'll be looking at how to fix it.

>  I suspect some of that is command history is a more recent feature and
> keybinding was never added for it (there are probably lots of commands
> which could use keybindings but are lacking them)

But new users will probably find arrow keys more intuitive. There should
be a way to spoon-feed new users key commands without annoying
experienced players.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng