On 05/09/2014 14:57, Tolga Dalman wrote:
>> 2. GLib will make things more portable. I've been able to get the client
>> building on Windows again, but it's still very messy, particularly due to
>> excessive conditional compilation. GLib implements its own portable sockets
>> that can be used on multiple platforms.
>
> We should investigate, whether the socket code should be aligned with the
> server part.
> That said, I'm reluctant to make glib a dependency for the server as well.
> However, I agree that portability (and, thus, better code) should be
> in the focus. What alternatives do we at least for the socket code have ?
> As discussed previously, SDL Net could be one such option amongst others.

There isn't exactly a whole lot to share. The protocol for the client
and server are different enough to require separate parsers for each.

I have seen command-line programs use GLib, for example, irssi comes to
mind. I have not seen purely command-line programs use SDLNet, probably
because it depends on SDL which in turn requires X11.

That said, I do not plan on making significant changes to the server at
this point. Right now I'm working on connection drop detection,
integrating Tolga's patches, and fixing Coverity detections.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng