Just my one slightly relevant data point on Qt:

The few times I compiled Qt for Solaris, it was a lot of work. Its been a while now, but some of this was the large number of dependencies to install before compiling Qt, but Qt itself had some oddities.

That said, the number of people running the server on solaris is near 0, and I don't think it even compiles right now due to changes/removals of various checks from configure (in most cases, there was a reason behind why those checks where put in the configure scripts in the first place).

But my thought is that if some new platform (non linux/bsd/windows) shows up and someone wants to run the server on it, from my experience above, using Qt may be as much a hindrance as a help.

And while there is some amount of platform/OS specific code in crossfire, it is fairly minor and probably a fair amount of the remaining bits could be cleaned up. The computer world is much different now than it was 20+ years ago (when there was a dozen different varieties of unix, POSIX standards were not as complete, etc).

My personal philosophy when I had time to spend time on crossfire was to try and keep the dependencies that the server needs to a minimum, simply because in many cases, the environment where the server would run had a more minimal installation or were a loaned resource such that it wasn't easy for the person running the server to install additional dependencies.