When playing on my laptop with a 283-dpi 4K display, I have to use the
client options to scale the map and icons.  Would it make sense to check
the DPI of the display and scale them automatically unless a manual
scaling is specified on the command line?

The rest of the display seems to scale based on the Xft.dpi resource
(probably something we get for free from GTK).  It does seem to push the
decimal place on item weights out of the window, but besides that it's
perfect.  If we could read that same resource and generate a default
scaling, the client would adjust seamlessly.