Hello,

I am evaluating using cryptodev-linux instead of ocf-linux as it appears to
make more recent releases .

My questions are:
(1) Why is the cryptodev-linux maintained separately outside of the kernel
tree? Is there a plan to push it to the mainline kernel?

(2) What features will we be missing out on if we don't use the extras/
openssl patch . I am not very comfortable with (re-)compile openssl as
ocf-linux works without extra patches.

(3) Why is the extra patch maintained outside of the OpenSSL community? Is
it supposed to maintained out-of-tree for a particular reason?

(4) Lastly, have you seen performance improvements with using
cryptodev-linux vs OCF-linux?  I guess getting rid of a layer would give
you a speedup.

Ideally I would've been pleased to see an in-kernel /dev/crypto
implementation that works with openssl to avoid build extra modules. But
I'm sure there is a good reason why thats not the case. If someone could
explain to me, would be grateful. Thank you.

Regards,
Joel