Hi Horia,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:18:50AM +0200, Horia Geant?? wrote:

> ablkcipher API is not completely removed from kernels <= v4.9.
> Thus it's still valid to use ablkcipher algorithms.

I was under the impression that skcipher is just a unified API meant to
give a common way of accessing synchronous and asynchronous block
ciphers. That's why I assumed it to be a drop-in replacement in our
case.

This commit spells it out clearly IMO:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/ba871e1d299154953dcee23590c0316283897261

Can you point me to an implementor that somehow registers an
ansynchronous block cipher that's not accessible via skcipher?

> Fix the case when implementers register ablkcipher algorithms
> and cryptodev casts them to skcipher without checking their type.

So is your patch meant as a stop-gap measure for releases ablk/skcipher
hybrid kernels until all implementors have made their ciphers available
via skcipher as well or did I get it wrong and (part of) the ablkcipher
API will stick around indefinitely?
--
bye, Micha