At 6:09 PM -0800 1/8/2001, David Honig wrote:
>At 07:51 PM 1/8/01 -0500, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> By shielding the fixtures, they effectively
>>place the lights outside of the enclosure.
>
>Yes.  But 1. you'd still want a filter the power mains
>inside your physically secured zone 2. The site had a
>generator... and presumably a guarded perimeter (think
>1/R^2) so emissions were probably less important than
>listening sensitivity...

I suspect they would not rely on the guarded perimeter for TEMPEST,
at least not back then.  The 1/R^2 attenuation applies to reception
as well. One would put distance between the antennae and the
buildings housing the computers and other sources of noise.

>I'll bet the wiring to
> >those fixtures is within carefully grounded conduit.
>
>Building codes often require this, anyway, though probably
>not grounded to the extent of someone concerned with emissions.

I doubt they require conduit in rural NC. And my guess is you'll see
welded straps bridging each joint.

>Again, it makes much more sense (cost, number of items to check
>periodically) to put isolation centrally.

The kind of filtering you need for TEMPEST is pretty fancy (and
expensive no doubt).  I have heard numbers like 100+ db.  The filters
have to be located at boundary of the shielded enclosure. I don't
believe you can do it centrally.

The more I think about it, the less convinced I am that this was a
intercept receiving site.  If it were, why was it abandoned? Surely
NSA does not have less need for that sort of thing in the post-cold
war era? And why put one in North Carolina?

It may have been a site for operational control of NSA satellites.
The large antennae and secluded location would make jamming more
difficult. The dual systems and self-contained power would insure
high availability and the shielding and fibre optics might also be
directed to EMP protection. The 1995 abandonment might have been due
to a realization that NSA could safely share satellite control
facilities with other DOD satellite owners, once the
money-is-no-object era ended.