It's interesting to note that in a recent Canadian decision on copyright, users
are allowed to use recordable media for copying as long as it is for private
use.  Of note in the decision is the fact that the manufacturers pay a fee for
each recordable media.  I'm sure that if it was deemed profitable, that the
manufacturers would work out an agreement and pay a fee similar to their other
arrangements for recordable media as long as the intent of the individual was
for private use.

Decision is at
http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/decisions/c22012001reasons-b.pdf

Michael Shields wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Alan Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How much would digital out jacks cost?  $1? $2? $5?
>
> In consumer electronics, which is a world where a cassette walkman can
> sell *at retail* for $5, that is a lot of money.
>
> > The market has nothing to do with the situation.  This is a case where no
> > one wants to be the first to stand up and get their corporate heads blown
> > off.
>
> The market never has nothing to do with the situation; it is only a
> question of how much.  In this case, the manufacturers of MP3 players
> have determined the increased product cost plus the legal risk are not
> justified by the premium consumers (in the aggregat) are willing to
> pay for a digital output jack.  If there were large amounts of money
> to be made by selling a player with this feature, the manufacturers
> might be willing to budget for the legal fight.
> --
> Shields.

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" with one line of text: "help".
begin:vcard
n:Scherling;Mark
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note;quoted-printable:"Validate so you can trust,=0D=0AAccreditate so we can trust"
fn:Mark Scherling
end:vcard