[ likely too far off topic ]

    > Hmmm, I have a "voter registration card" and I believe that is
    > the case across the USA.

Anything that is itself mechanically _required_ in order to
vote must be provided to the voter gratis else it will be
surely challenged as a poll tax.  By just this detail alone,
I do not think that electronic voting from the home has a
future.  Even if the smartcard were given away, that the rest
of the apparatus (PC, reader, network, etc.) was self-funded
by the voter as a matter of personal choice and convenience
would almost surely be derided by some group or other as a
sign that "rich folk" get counted first and easier.

--dan