No, there is no plan to issue a 39 release shortly.

This complaint should be directed at the Safety DB. There is no
LibreSSL vulnerability, they are confused.
https://github.com/pyupio/safety/issues/413

Alex

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 12:09 PM Rodney McBride via Cryptography-dev
<cryptography-dev@python.org> wrote:

> Is there a plan to get the cryptography package updated to v39 on PyPI?
>
> The reason I ask is because all versions of cryptography below v39 have been
> flagged by the Safety DB module due to the LibreSSL security vulnerability.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rodney McBride, Veteran, Cybersecurity Analyst, Security Analytics
> Professional, Security+
>
> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.