From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Subject: Re: Entropy and Crypto-Grade Randomness
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 16:23:57 GMT

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:22:38 -0800, Bryan Olson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What is the entropy of Champernonwe's number (base 10)?  Does the
>> entropy of that number make it a good choice for a TRNG?

>Entropy is a property of probability distributions and the events
>in them.  If the probability of using a specific number is one,
>then the entropy is zero and it's not suitable as a TRNG.

You guys are too smart for me. I ask a trick question, and you see
thru it immediately.

Too bad most people aren't as smart as you guys. They still think that
you can test a given number for randomness.

>Sort of.  "Mutual information" is closely related to correlation.
>The mutual information of two events (or random variables) is 0 if
>and only if they are independent.  The mutual information of two
>random variables is equal to their joint entropy if and only if
>each uniquely determines the other.

You might want to read up on quantum entanglement, with its *negative*
entropies. Nope, that is not a typo - I did say *negative* entropies.
Quantum entanglement starts out with two systems with zero entropy
(that is, the state they are in is precisely known), and when they
become entangled, one acquires entropy (that is, it becomes
probabilistic) and the other loses entropy (that is, it goes into a
state of negative entropy and becomes "supercorrelated").

Here is a reference:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/find/quant-ph/1/cerf/0/1/0/96/1/0

quant-ph/9605002:

Title: Quantum Mechanics of Measurement
Authors: N. J. Cerf, C. Adami

It is in a variety of formats, including PDF.

>> What does entropy have to do with true randomness?

>Entropy gives a precise definition to the intuitive notion of
>true randomness.

I would not go so far as to state that. After all, true randomness is
that which cannot be defined, so you run into the Berry Paradox
whenever you attempt to define it.

The best you can do is state that true randomness is a process which
is capable of generating all possible sequences equiprobably, namely
in an independent and equidistributed manner. In that context, entropy
is a measure of how well the process fulfills that specification.

>> Is maximal entropy
>> both a necessary and sufficient condition for true randomness?

>That depends on what one means by "true randomness".

True randomness is a process, not a thing. It is an act, not an
object. Entropy attempts to characterize that act, to measure how
random that act is. If the entropy of that act is maximal, then the
act is taken to be random.

The problem with that concept is that there is one thing missing,
namely that the act must operate on a sample space that has ALL
possibilities in reality present. Operating on a subspace of limited
possibilites can lead to maximal entropy, but that does not mean that
the process is truly random.

For example, if I reach into a jar that has only odd numbers in it -
that is, I have deliberately excluded the even numbers - the entropy
of that limited selection process may be maximal, but it is not truly
random. If I color the even numbers white and the odd numbers black,
all I would ever do is select black numbers, since I excluded all the
white ones. That makes the entropy zero, yet that is the maximum it
can attain in that sample space.

Bob Knauer

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
-- Ayn Rand

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Herman Rubin)
Subject: Re: Random Generator
Date: 7 Mar 1999 10:21:05 -0500

In article <incE2.447$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Sampson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Your University probably has several good books on this.

>Gerben Dirksen wrote
>>Does anyone here know a good way of generating (pseudo) random numbers?
>>C++ has a random generator but I'd like something better than that one.

The university is likely to have many books on this, but will any
of them solve the problem?   I would combine any PRNG with physical
random numbers for any non-trivial application.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Subject: Re: British Crypto Fascists
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 17:58:44 GMT

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 14:28:01 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw) wrote:

>To do something obscurely is a means of extending privacy to the action;
>to do something semiprivately that should done in full view and honor,
>like pass laws, in circumventomg honest debate show themselves for who
>they really are through their own dishonesty and demeaning methods.

>Those who want to railroad sneaky legislation should be reminded of the
>ultimate fates of many who have undone whole societies to their tragic
>end, which is always predictable.

For them to get by with it, they have to disarm us first.

If they do that, then it is our fault for letting them do it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:07:52 GMT

>From http://www.newsmax.com/commentmax/articles/Zoh_Hieronimus.html

Dangerous Phones
Feb. 25, 1999

Charles Smith of 'Softwar Corporation' states, "The direct link
between Beijing espionage, millionaire drug lords, and Bill Clinton is
Webster Hubbell." Janet Reno put Hubbell in charge of all technology
and encryption related issues, of which he was unqualified, including
a top-secret project to tap every phone in America. Some of the
unclassified Hubbell files prove that Ron Brown, Al Gore, Janet Reno,
John Podesta, and Bill Clinton were engaged in serious efforts to
secretly purchase phones designed by AT&T which could not be bugged or
tapped. Why did the Clinton’s team want to buy the AT&T product?
According to Smith, a memo from Stephen Colgate, assistant Attorney
General for the Administration, details Clinton’s plans to bug every
phone in America. Reno and Clinton tasked Hubbell to secretly purchase
all of AT&T’s secure phones, keeping them out of the marketplace, and
according to Smith, by using a slush fund supplied by asset
confiscation from the drug war in order to keep the purchase off the
books. Simply put, a domestic covert operation.

Then, by implanting the clipper chip, a sort of back door key, into
each of these phones, and getting the FBI, NSA, and NSC to push for
legislation to mandate the public use of refitted clipper chip phones,
no American could hold a private conversation again. John Podesta, now
White House Chief of Staff, got his brother, lobbyist Tony Podesta, a
classified encryption briefing inside The White House. AT&T is one of
Podesta's Clients. The story gets more perverse. Clinton’s crooked
money man, James Riady of the Jack Stephens Lippo group, placed
Communist spy John Huang at the Commerce Department after Hubbell
resigned, benefiting AT&T who was given the freedom to sell these
military grade secret communication systems to the Chinese. In other
words, after trying their best to keep this technology from Americans,
Reno, Clinton, Gore, Hubbell, Brown, and Podesta deliberately gave the
Chinese military this technology and the ability to spy on every one
of its citizens, and AT&T the opportunity to profit off of tyranny.
Isn’t it time to boycott AT&T who were only too willing to deny
Americans their freedom while securing the ongoing oppression of the
Chinese?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:06:31 GMT

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 21:48:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim
Dunnett) wrote:

>The one good thing about this rubbish is the tacit admission
>that they can't break PGP!

I believe they will be able to at a later date, when quantum computers
come on line.

The really hilarious thing about their demanding that you decrypt your
ciphers is that with the OTP system you can decipher it into any
message you want. All you have to do is make a false key by XORing the
cipher with the false message.

Anyway, with the OTP system you are supposed to destroy the real key
once the message is encrypted or decrypted) - that is part of the
protocol. Therefore, you cannot be expected to be able to decrypt the
cipher later.

I wonder if anyone behind this nonsense knows anything about crypto.
The only reason crime pays is that the people fighting it are stupider
than criminals.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:08:55 GMT

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 12:43:27 -0600, "Steve Sampson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The person asked about random numbers, I pointed out that
>the best stuff is in the University library, and you said something
>about snake oil.  When asked whether you meant University books
>were poor sources of study, you remarked that you weren't
>commenting on the University as the source of books.
>
>I'm afraid I have made a mistake, and am talking with someone
>who's native language isn't English, or I don't understand the
>joke.
>
>Normally I don't even talk to people who's favorite quote is
>longer than their message, but I thought I should point out to
>you, that English is a very hard language, and you should refrain
>from using it.

Jeez, what a grouch you are.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:14:11 GMT

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:46:17 GMT, "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Does anyone here know a good way of generating (pseudo) random numbers?

>Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 2 --
>Seminumerical Algorithms" (chapter 3).

Also try Cusick, Ding and Renvall, "Stream Ciphers and Number Theory".

Much of the book is about Cyclotomic Numbers, which the authors claim
are highly resistant to sophistocated stream cipher attacks. There is
also a discussion of the BBS generator towards the end of the book.

Date: 7 Mar 1999 18:46:55 -0000
From: brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wipe free space

Over the last year or so I've come across lots of different programs for wiping
free space on hard disks. First there was BCwipe, then Eraser, Scramdisk, PGP,
even Norton Utilities has this option if I remember correctly.

Some programs take a very long time to complete (eraser for example), while
others are quite brisk little buggers. Are the quickies not doing a proper job?
or are the long hauls doing unnecessary overtime? Obviously the best one takes
the least time possible to do the job properly.

Can anyone shed light on this one? Which is the best program to use?

------------------------------

From: "Steve Sampson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:47:08 -0600

>Dangerous Phones
>Feb. 25, 1999
>

>According to Smith, a memo from Stephen Colgate, assistant Attorney
>General for the Administration,

There is no such Title.  The Title is:

    Assistant Attorney General for Administration  (there is no "the" in
there).

That is, he runs all Administration of the DOJ.  He is the Chief Information
Officer, Justice Management Division.

Kind of deflated that vast right wing conspiracy didn't it...

Steve
"If not for Marxism, we'd have no clothes" -- Krusty the Clown

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Knauer)
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:56:35 GMT

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:47:08 -0600, "Steve Sampson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>According to Smith, a memo from Stephen Colgate, assistant Attorney
>>General for the Administration,

>There is no such Title.  The Title is:
>    Assistant Attorney General for Administration  (there is no "the" in
>there).
>That is, he runs all Administration of the DOJ.  He is the Chief Information
>Officer, Justice Management Division.
>Kind of deflated that vast right wing conspiracy didn't it...

What "vast right wing conspiracy" - the one paranoid Hillarity was
blaming her husband's problems on?

From: "Steve Sampson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:03:56 -0600

Jim,

Your signature block is larger than your message.  Plus, you didn't
need to include 4k of historical text to form your question.

Nietzche also frowned on men using "So" to open a sentence.
I believe he questioned their manhood, as it is girlish in nature.

Steve
"Just kill all the spammers" -- Krusty the Clown

Jim Dunnett wrote

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mdc)
Subject: Re: Learning crypto
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 99 15:59:15 GMT

In article <7bs5s1$b1m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Madelyn E Barron"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am new to the field of cryptology, and I would like to learn more about
>it.  I have been programming in Delphi since it was released.  Any
>information on how I can learn more would be greatly appreciated.  Anything
>from books & papers, colleges and source codes.

I would recommend Bruce Schneier's "Applied Cryptography".
It has a good overview of fundamental theory and the mechanics
of individual algorithms.  Since you're an experienced programmer,
his pseudo-code outlines of how different algorithms work will be
easy to understand.

The book is quite extensive and doesn't really need to be read
cover-to-cover.  You can read the first few sections to learn the
basics and then delve into the specifics of algorithms you're
interested in.

Michael

http://www.mc2studios.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ElGamal vs RSA
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:31:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "F. Arndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A novice question:  Is it generally accepted that the ElGamal is much
> less secure than the RSA for comparable key lengths?

No.  DH /Elgamal offers slightly more security per key bit than RSA.

Sam Simpson
Comms Analyst
-- http://www.scramdisk.clara.net for ScramDisk hard-drive encryption &
Delphi Crypto Components.  PGP Keys available at the same site.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moh)
Subject: DES => problems with decryption
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:06:02 GMT

Hi,

the problem I have got is that I wrote using
Bruce Schneiers "Applied Cryptographie"
writing a DES Modul in C.
The only thing I did not really understand is
how to decrypt the Datablock.
It is said that the "Keys" in the round
should be used in invers order but using
the samem algrorithm. This was not clear
to me, so I pasted my high-level function
here in order to get help. Thanks in advance,

best regards
-Moh

Here is the source, the names of the functions
are all chosen in a reasonable manner,
after the "else" and the
/* HOW SHOULD THIS PART BE USED FOR DECRYPTION??? */
the part starts which I do not know how to
implement correctly.

void des_sub (long *source_block, long *key, long *target_block, int
mode)
{
        long *temp_key, *temp_data;
        int i;

        temp_key = malloc (sizeof(long)*2);
        temp_data = malloc (sizeof(long)*2);

        initial_permutation(source_block);
        key_permutation(key);

        if (mode == ENCRYPT) {
                for (i=0; i<16; i++) {
                        shifting(key, i);
                        compression (key, temp_key);
                        expansion(source_block, temp_data);
                        temp_data[0] ^= temp_key[0];
                        temp_data[1] ^= temp_key[1];

                        *temp_data = substitution(temp_data);
                        p_box(temp_data);
                        target_block[0] = source_block[1] ^
temp_data[0];
                        target_block[1] = source_block[0];

                        source_block[0] = target_block[0];
                        source_block[1] = target_block[1];

                }
        } else {  /* HOW SHOULD THIS PART BE USED FOR DECRYPTION??? */
                for (i=15; i>=0; i--) {
                        shifting(key, i);
                        compression (key, temp_key);
                        expansion(source_block, temp_data);
                        temp_data[0] ^= temp_key[0];
                        temp_data[1] ^= temp_key[1];

                        *temp_data = substitution(temp_data);
                        p_box(temp_data);
                        target_block[0] = source_block[1] ^
temp_data[0];
                        target_block[1] = source_block[0];

                        source_block[0] = target_block[0];
                        source_block[1] = target_block[1];

                }
        }
        final_permutation(target_block);

}

------------------------------

From: Alexandre Semionoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GSM COMP128 Algorithm
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 23:43:44 +0300

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

==============ms3DC0058390FDCFA617BBAFB8

Ladies and Gentlemen!

I wonder where I can find the original manufacturer's COMP128
executable code which is factory-installed into a GSM SIM
card. Can it be read from the card? Which elementary files is it
contained in? What is the memory location of the key material and
the executable COMP128 authentication code inside a Motorola
MC68HC05SC21
CPU? Can you point me to the right direction?

Any help will be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

        With best regards,    Alexander Semionoff, Moscow, Russia
--
    *** For educational purposes only! ***

  http://www.tande.com/kgb

==============ms3DC0058390FDCFA617BBAFB8

MIIHpwYJKoZIhvcNAQcCoIIHmDCCB5QCAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMAsGCSqGSIb3DQEHAaCC
BcowggKJMIIB8qADAgECAgJfODANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQQFADCBuTELMAkGA1UEBhMCWkExFTAT
BgNVBAgTDFdlc3Rlcm4gQ2FwZTEUMBIGA1UEBxMLRHVyYmFudmlsbGUxGjAYBgNVBAoTEVRo
YXd0ZSBDb25zdWx0aW5nMSkwJwYDVQQLEyBUaGF3dGUgUEYgUlNBIElLIDE5OTguOS4xNiAx
Nzo1NTE2MDQGA1UEAxMtVGhhd3RlIFBlcnNvbmFsIEZyZWVtYWlsIFJTQSBJc3N1ZXIgMTk5
OC45LjE2MB4XDTk5MDEwMjE3MjgwOVoXDTAwMDEwMjE3MjgwOVowSDEfMB0GA1UEAxMWVGhh
d3RlIEZyZWVtYWlsIE1lbWJlcjElMCMGCSqGSIb3DQEJARYWaW50ZXJAdGVjaG5vbG9naXN0
LmNvbTBcMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA0sAMEgCQQCal8K2FhSAyCgZaeswF70FaxUDO4L60Oul
NydC0yr4fd8lLv+ZcN1Vjdl+eGABZDPB9HL3fvJdPIjUrM9YftJ/AgMBAAGjVDBSMBEGCWCG
SAGG+EIBAQQEAwIFoDAOBgNVHQ8BAf8EBAMCBaAwDAYDVR0TAQH/BAIwADAfBgNVHSMEGDAW
gBT+PmCca4wPsNgzxsrGHliwcTi14DANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQQFAAOBgQB7An1kFC9cVSOoUENb
dfGOBblGxBqxZg3+nrHXiR2896XzHhsZBYFQVFXIt33SDNjHeL+WR03+7S9nakizjiT15022
HxULwnsfyC+bqFBCUI+xUiYiIDTaDJJUo1Lw4C5H2/dMm5nqEG0+SxxJ9f1YJeEzjLB2+MuO
YCYfh7F/DzCCAzkwggKioAMCAQICAQowDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEEBQAwgdExCzAJBgNVBAYTAlpB
MRUwEwYDVQQIEwxXZXN0ZXJuIENhcGUxEjAQBgNVBAcTCUNhcGUgVG93bjEaMBgGA1UEChMR
VGhhd3RlIENvbnN1bHRpbmcxKDAmBgNVBAsTH0NlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gU2VydmljZXMgRGl2
aXNpb24xJDAiBgNVBAMTG1RoYXd0ZSBQZXJzb25hbCBGcmVlbWFpbCBDQTErMCkGCSqGSIb3
DQEJARYccGVyc29uYWwtZnJlZW1haWxAdGhhd3RlLmNvbTAeFw05ODA5MTYxNzU1MzRaFw0w
MDA5MTUxNzU1MzRaMIG5MQswCQYDVQQGEwJaQTEVMBMGA1UECBMMV2VzdGVybiBDYXBlMRQw
EgYDVQQHEwtEdXJiYW52aWxsZTEaMBgGA1UEChMRVGhhd3RlIENvbnN1bHRpbmcxKTAnBgNV
BAsTIFRoYXd0ZSBQRiBSU0EgSUsgMTk5OC45LjE2IDE3OjU1MTYwNAYDVQQDEy1UaGF3dGUg
UGVyc29uYWwgRnJlZW1haWwgUlNBIElzc3VlciAxOTk4LjkuMTYwgZ8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEB
BQADgY0AMIGJAoGBAMSl5dTU0F8IAu4HIX0kv6trjh7rIAcCFYRrj9CTJB8bne5osrksT+mT
ZxcQFx6h+UNBI7kwqnaXu/Pn/YHAtTGL9qZQJlTylSjrGaQelx6w4ribwQSaMtA8CWxP5DVP
8Ha/ABMDT0UIYPP8tNCQAYoSyZy6f1LqKpM1Njw85DUvAgMBAAGjNzA1MBIGA1UdEwEB/wQI
MAYBAf8CAQAwHwYDVR0jBBgwFoAUcknCczTGVfQLdnKBfnf0h+fGsg4wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEE
BQADgYEALMeCHwFDPgeP7mlcqWSC+MCWrZMry5tQ10CagcK6pnadPJVA3FXB4VWCeasKKabV
DOFXKD6P+bvV3w2TWKpbLYuPM+TdWBU1dnIVKb1C9FqSC3dfnSfbmi1OG4IGjtKNVruV3tsM
ZQXelZ4C3VMXvr78a8MaInoUK2G9wp9eeloxggGlMIIBoQIBATCBwDCBuTELMAkGA1UEBhMC
WkExFTATBgNVBAgTDFdlc3Rlcm4gQ2FwZTEUMBIGA1UEBxMLRHVyYmFudmlsbGUxGjAYBgNV
BAoTEVRoYXd0ZSBDb25zdWx0aW5nMSkwJwYDVQQLEyBUaGF3dGUgUEYgUlNBIElLIDE5OTgu
OS4xNiAxNzo1NTE2MDQGA1UEAxMtVGhhd3RlIFBlcnNvbmFsIEZyZWVtYWlsIFJTQSBJc3N1
ZXIgMTk5OC45LjE2AgJfODAJBgUrDgMCGgUAoH0wGAYJKoZIhvcNAQkDMQsGCSqGSIb3DQEH
ATAcBgkqhkiG9w0BCQUxDxcNOTkwMzA3MjA0MzQ0WjAeBgkqhkiG9w0BCQ8xETAPMA0GCCqG
SIb3DQMCAgEoMCMGCSqGSIb3DQEJBDEWBBT9XtkmbFPG2ibP1juX/yLVfJC58zANBgkqhkiG
9w0BAQEFAARAPtyByaBd3Ix6TWHyF7XYiJO7shsprJp3nYHoEiUDiLHN8Qcq0Np7JD+fyGQr
FvPHNDc2lU93pjFl/g3jPklLmQ==
==============ms3DC0058390FDCFA617BBAFB8==