From: Joe McGivern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NES - Who cares?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 07:04:10 GMT

If the NES does *not* post all cryptanalitic results then does it stand
to reason that NES will select a fast algorithm which only they know is
breakable in a way that only they can break it.  Everyone will believe
that the best algorithm was chosen when in fact the mere selection of
that algorithm by the NES is that ciphers kiss of death.

It seems that in that vain, it would be an honor not to be selected.
Just a thought.

------------------------------

From: Doggmatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Testing Algorithms [moving off-topic]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 07:23:36 GMT

In article <7c8lh3$mnp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Juola) wrote:
> In article <7c74o2$pqm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Doggmatic  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <7c3f59$4f7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Juola) wrote:

Energy

> >that
[snip]

> >years;
Friction

> >> Wrong stopping condition.  Tell me; when friction is small enough that
> >> per-bit losses are less than 1/2^256 of an erg.  At that point, you'll
> >> be able to count to 2^256 at a total cost of less than an erg of energy.
> >[snip approx answer]
> >>
> >>    -kitten
> >
> >I almost concur, except that the limit of one erg is unnecessary.  So long as
> >you can, at least, count up to 2^256 with some x number of available ergs of
> >energy, which is likely greater than just one erg.  So let's assume we've got
> >a whole bunch'a ergs to use.  What sounds good to you?       We'll go with
10^60
> >ergs just sitting in our energy bank; is that enough?  I know ... I know ..
> >you're thinking, "Hey, that's more energy than the Sun will release before it
> >goes nova [not counting the supernova itself]." .. or maybe "Wait! There
> >aren't even 10^60 atoms in this solar system - maybe we shouldn't have 10^60
> >ergs?"       But, don't worry about those piddly little details, just humor
me.
> >We know that the energy of a state change is greater than or equal to
> >1.38e(-16) * TempOfUniv. We've got 10^60 ergs to spare and we want to run
> >something through 10^77 (2^256) state changes.
>
> That's the point -- we're not running the universe through state changes
> as we're using reversible computations.
>
>       -kitten

  I thought we established above that "reversible computing" is an ideal that
can never be achieved.  That's when we got into the thing about "closer to
zero" and "equal to zero."  Apparently, (and I could be wrong,) reversible
computing requires friction equal to zero.  You've proponed for many days now
that engineers will achieve near-zero friction, but I thought we finally
killed the thing about the feasibility of frictionless surfaces when you
decided to veer off into an energy argument.  I think I'll make my final
assertions here.

  1) In the lifetime of this solar syatem, having physically-existant
computers count to 2^256 is impossible without reversible computing.  2)
Frictionless surfaces are impossible.  3) Any technology that requires a
frictionless surface is impossible.  4) (You implied) reversible computing
requires a frictionless surface.  5) Reversible computing is impossible.  6)
Since reversible computing is impossible, so is having physically-existant
computers count to 2^256 within the lifetime of this solar system.

  Hopefully, there aren't any arguments left for you without introducing new
physical-law-breaking theories.  If you must continue the discussion, then
please, point out the assertion (by number) that you disagree with.  Wait.
Let me go ahead an make sure this discussion is dead.

requirements for arguments against assertion:
  1) new physical-law-breaking theory
  2) new physical-law-breaking theory
  3) no argument possible against this assertion alone
  4) contradicting your specifications of reversible computing
  5) no argument possible against this assertion alone
  6) new physical-law-breaking theory

So, I correct myself.  You can either introduce a new physical-law-breaking
theory OR contradict yourself to continue this discussion.  Which shall it be?
(Please say none   :-)

   ___/Mike  ...two legs good, four legs bad? ... Why conform?
__/.   |      For my next trick, WATCH as this humble mouse breaks
\-__   \___   Windows at the mere press of a button.
    \          Hey! Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frode Weierud)
Subject: Re: The Magic Screw, Non-Secret Encryption, and the Latest WIRED
Date: 14 Mar 1999 08:27:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>This article adds quite a bit to what was in a paper on the subject
>available on the WWW that was mentioned in a post here (there's a pointer
>to it on Frode Weierud's site) some time ago.

When CESG (GCHQ's cipher and computer security brother) re-did their Web
pages they forgot to include the history of Non-Secret Encryption. After
I was told (I think by John Savard) that the link not longer was
functional I took contact with CESG. They promised to put the pages back
up which they have done. The pages are hidden in their history section.
However, there is a direct link from my Cryptology Web page at:
http://home.cern.ch/~frode/crypto

Frode

--
        Frode Weierud                   Phone  : +41 22 7674794
        CERN, SL,  CH-1211 Geneva 23,   Fax    : +41 22 7679185

------------------------------

From: "Roger Schlafly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ElGamal vs RSA
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:53:15 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <7cf8k4$mg2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Asserting that someone does not have the technical background to
>provide an opinion on some subject is not an ad hominem attack.

My dictionary defines "ad hominem" as:
1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
2 : marked by an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer
to the contentions made
http://www.m-w.com/

I have a PhD in Mathematics from U. California at Berkeley. How much
additional background is required to have an opinion on this subject?

>> Your statement implied that DL over GF(2^n) was easy.
>
>I said no such thing.  The only easy problems in CS are polynomial time.
>I never said Coppersmith's algorithm is in P.   What I said was that
>solving DL over FG(2^n) is significantly easier than DL over GF(p)  for
>n ~ log(p).

And you also said:

    "Coppersmith's algorithm applied to the former [GF(2^n)] makes it
    unsuitable for cryptographic use."

Your statement is wrong. It might be correct if DL over GF(2^n) were
easy, but Coppersmith's algorithm leaves many reasonable values of n
outside its practical range.

>> If someone wants to use DL over GF(2^n), and his application is such
>> than n = 1024 is not safe enough, then he can pick n = 2048 or even
>> a larger value, if he wishes.
>
>And slow down encryption/decryption by at least a factor of 4 in the
process.
>And take up more space in certificates.  And more bandwidth in key
exchange.

All of which might be mitigated by other factors in a particular
application.
After all, some people still use RSA even though EC has much lower
bandwidth.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Subject: Re: Quantum Computation and Cryptography
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 02:08:20 -0600

Knauer) writes:

> >Nand gates cannot be reversible. You can create a gate with two output
> >channels which is reversible.

> >But nothing which takes two inputs and
> >produces one output can ever be reversible.

Sorry to be difficult, but, and I hate to do this you get an F today in
digital logic,   especially since a basic XOR gate has two inputs and one
output.  As you surely should know, reversible in binary logic means
knowing the states of two of the three leads, knowing the operative table
referencing the two inputs and one output, and predicting the unspecified
state of the remaining lead.

> >With a nand gate, you have three input states which go to the same
> >output. Thus you would need the second output to have three possible
> >states-- it could not be a binary output.

Three inputs or three states?  Neither is descriptive of a NAND gate,
which is two inputs and two possible states for each input.  Considering
two inputs, there are four total combinations, two bits.  Yes each of the
wires can have a state, one of two per wire.  Perhaps you did not realize
what you wrote, or levet out critical words, as it make no sense.

You can correctly correct any simple logic element and some more
complicated ones with nothing but NAND gates, 7400's or equivalent chips,
most often four gates per chip.  In design, to efficiently use chips, you
must sometimes use resident elements to create other gates rather than
adding chips with excessive sections that might not be used at all.
Examples would be 1) to use a NAND gate for an inverter, or 2) two NAND
gates for a bistable flipflop, or 3) a NAND chased by an inverter or NAND
gate to make an AND gate.

With simple diodes you can gang inputs, replacing lots of gates; while
this is hard to appreciate in terms of routine logic, it is a wonderful
shortcut to circuit simplification, as is the addition of a few discrete
transistors and resistors along the way.  I see DTL and TTL as
complementary, not exclusive; have I not said the same of different
information units?

In fact you can create logic elements and chip-worthy circuits that are
not otherwise unavailable, but wonderfully useful, with some
sleight-of-parts; as I evidence being a maverick with crypto theory, I've
always explored the unorthodox, and found some real gems in the
process....you can too.

In some ways, simple binary based logic is inadequate to replicate
important forms of digital logic.  There are some early dissertations that
attempt to prove the opposite, but they work against themselves.  When I
speak of different types of information units in an electronic sense, it
is from direct experience.

In speaking of the future of computing, for it to become what it should,
to some extent is necessary to think far beyond what are easily accepted
as limits in current design.  Nature does not stress, and probably seldom
even does, binary.  Technology will ultimately tend to follow for the same
important imperative, some things work better in certain ways; it just
takes time to get there.  Time is one thing each of us is short on, so get
started.
--
Security efforts for an insecure platform are apt to be about as effective as
waterwings on a snake.

------------------------------

From: "Ludwig Fischer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:10:36 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Scramdisk Crash on Win 98 .. Suggestions ?

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:56:45 GMT, Gary Cowell (QI'HoS) wrote:

>I have a 649MB Scramdisk file encoded with 3DES which is burned on a
>CD-R.
>
>If I mount this file directly from the CD-R and try to access files
>randomly from it,

Hallo !

Sorry for a beginners question

But, what is a 649MB Scramdisk file encoded with 3DES
and what is the purpose ???

==============
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vienna Austria

------------------------------

From: Joe McGivern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NES - Who cares?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 07:54:20 GMT

AES.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.virus
Subject: Re: Network Associates - Can we trust their products?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:05:35 GMT

You can completely trust them.
if you have any questions, you can always contact them.
If there is a real issue, they will forward it to the development
department.
Works good and will be even better.

David

------------------------------

From: Scott Fluhrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Total  beginner
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:22:32 GMT

In article <7cf6hf$f95$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Jonas Thörnvall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello !
>
>http://www.algonet.se/~labah
>

>I'm a total beginner to cryptografy. And have no what so ever skill to
>judge, if a cipher  is breakable in mathematical terms. Therefore i used
>pure logic creating my  cipher.
"I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I threw together some code"
I suggest that if you are a total beginner, and you seriously want to
learn, that you devote some time at least studying the standard references.
Schneier's "Applied Cryptography" would be a good start.  If you don't
want to shell out the money, there's always libraries.  If you don't want
to spend the time, you're not really serious.

Oh, and a word to the wise: even though you are not a native English
speaker, but people would respect your postings more if you spent a bit
more time getting your spelling right.

>I thought that if i performed a trappstep structuring/ordering  on bit level
>and let the (frequense?) be set by password. And after that performed
>somkind of shifting, there would be impossible to tell if the bit
>(de)shifted led closer to the solution.
>As a metafor i used rubrics cube i'm aware  about that it has locked
>position, but that's solvable.
>Of course there are a problem in the fact that the bits are the same, theyre
>just shifted, but then  i thougt
>it´s really not a big problem if their shifting are random enough?
It's rather difficult to understand what you're saying, but if you are asking
whether a key-based bit permutation is good enough, the answer is simple:
no -- that can be reconstructed with a few known plaintext/ciphertext pairs
(and if you don't understand what that meant, you definitely need more
study)

Oh, and I tried your Web page.  Normally, I whine at newbies not to shove
their code at me, and instead give me a mathematical description of their
algorithm.  Here, you didn't even do that -- you gave me a black box (which
didn't even work).  Next time, write up your algorithm in sufficient detail
that I could write a program for it on my computer (and you don't know what
type of computer or what programming language I use).

>Who knows one day i actually read a book on cryptography (The math seems
>rather complex.....)
If you don't like math, find a different hobby.  Seriously.

>I enjoy your newsgroup(even if i understand little or none)
Feel free to lurk.  However, it's no replacement for real study.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shaun)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:38:21 GMT

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:56:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary
Cowell (QI'HoS)) wrote:

>I have a 649MB Scramdisk file encoded with 3DES which is burned on a
>CD-R.
>
>If I mount this file directly from the CD-R and try to access files
>randomly from it, Windows 98 will hang. Sometimes after one or two
>files have been loaded, sometimes more, but it will always eventually
>crash. This is the 'Power Switch' type of crash too.  These crashes
>did not happen when I still had Windows 95.

Are you using 2.02G ?

Try creating another container with blowfish etc. as a test and see if
that crashes with a CD disk, just in case it is a speed issue in the
driver..

Shaun.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wei Dai)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:33:08 -0800

In article <7cf8k4$mg2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> The time difference is insignificant. And is platform and implementation
> dependent.With respect to CPU time, they are virtually the same.  What makes
> DL slightly harder than factoring is that for DL,  the matrix must be solved
> mod p,        rather than mod 2.  This takes  a factor of log p  more SPACE and a
> constant factor (depending on the wordsize of the machine solving the matrix)
> more time  to solve the matrix.  The sieving times are virtually the same.

Ok, that explains why DL results have lagged so far behind factoring
results - it must be hard to get time on computers with that much
memory.

However I don't understand why it takes only a contant factor more time
to solve a matrix mod p instead of mod 2. Shouldn't it take at least a
factor of log p more time? I guess most of the time in matrix solving is
spent on multiplying integers mod p, so the factor should be closer to
(log p)^2.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:39:10 GMT

I took a look at your page, and your algorithm looks neato.  Would you mind
posting your algorithm?  You talk about shifting, do you mean rotating?