Cryptography-Digest Digest #204, Volume #11      Sat, 26 Feb 00 15:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: ECHELON BOMBSHELL: NSA ACCUSED OF SPYING ON US POLITICIANS (Dennis Ritchie)
  RC-5/32/12/8 = SOLVED!! ("Richard Lee King Jr.")
  Re: I had a .mil account until I told about it here on the USENET in 2000 or  a
little before ... they seemed to have canceled it ..  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. probably
the same people who have been trying to  control me ... (loopy)
  Re: Passwords secure against dictionary attacks? (Johnny Bravo)
  PGP > IBM AS/400 platform? (".")
  Re: ECHELON BOMBSHELL: NSA ACCUSED OF SPYING ON US POLITICIANS (Mok-Kong Shen)
  Re: I had a .mil account until I told about it here on the USENET in  ("Markku J.
Saarelainen")
  Re: Passwords secure against dictionary attacks? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RDSTC instruction on Pentiums for RNGs (Scott Nelson)
  Re: Are "self-shredding" files possible? ("C. Henderson")
  US Intelligence Community does spy on international business (all kinds  ("Markku J.
Saarelainen")
  Cryonics and cryptanalysis ("Ralph C. Merkle")
  The former CIA directors are just playing roles .. they are involved in  ("Markku J.
Saarelainen")
  Re: Go after all and any CIA and NSA and FBI officers, controllers,  ("Markku J.

From: Dennis Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ECHELON BOMBSHELL: NSA ACCUSED OF SPYING ON US POLITICIANS
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:13:12 +0000

Dave Hazelwood wrote much, including:

> The National Security Agency may be using the Echelon network to
> eavesdrop on US politicians, says a shock report set for
> broadcast this weekend!

> [Hill] says she was shocked to hear the voice of Senator Strom
> Thurmond (Rep. S.C.) on a surveillance headset.

I'm always shocked when I hear Strom Thurmond, even on broadcast TV.

> ... Goss (Rep.- Fla), chairman of the House Intelligence
> Committee, which has oversight of the NSA, does acknowledge that the
> U.S. has the capability to pick up any phone call and that even his
> own conversations could have been monitored.

So why did the FBI ask for all that money for the phone companies
to increase their wire tap capabilities? ...

> More... Read it all...
>
> http://www.drudgereport.com

Matt Drudge's scoop seems to be that it will be on 60 Minutes over
the weekend.  Yawn.

        Dennis

------------------------------

From: "Richard Lee King Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RC-5/32/12/8 = SOLVED!!
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:57:06 GMT

B0 0A 12 E1 98 47 36 58

HAVE A NICE DAY!
I WILL!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (loopy)
Crossposted-To:
alt.politics.org.cia,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.soviet,soc.culture.nordic,soc.culture.europe,alt.security,alt.2600,alt.2600.hackers
Subject: Re: I had a .mil account until I told about it here on the USENET in 2000 or
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:12:31 GMT

fI noticed the date was Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:29:53 GMT, when I gazed on my 300$ rolex.
That's when Markku J. Saarelainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Markku, jos minakin olisin hikinen ruma keski-ikainen mies, kai minakin
hopisisin kaikkea skeidaa, yrittaisin saada elamani mielenkiintoisemmaksi...
voi raukkaa, ei taida laakitys olla ihan kohdallaan.. kuule arvaatko mika on
se aani kun pikku trolli nimelta Markku tippuu kaiverrettuun puuholkkiin?

PLONK

--
"... the Mayo Clinic, named after its founder, Dr. Ted Clinic ..."
                -- Dave Barry

------------------------------

From: Johnny Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.misc,alt.security.pgp
Subject: Re: Passwords secure against dictionary attacks?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:17:48 +0000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 07:56:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lincoln
Yeoh) wrote:

>Erm, it's trivial to run through a dictionary, just think of it as a two
>character password where you have say 20000 alphabets.
>e.g.
><word1><word2>
><word1> <word2>
><word1>,<word2>

  And just these two words have 1.2 billion permutations for 30 bits of
password with the separators you've given.  Add in a third word and you
are approaching DES levels of encryption with 45 bits.  Seven words with
just the space separator is 100 bits.  Good luck brute forcing my Diceware
password even though the list is only 7776 words, I've picked 8 of them.

>What would be more difficult to brute force would be:
>1) Create and remember a number of (e.g. 5 or 6) different passwords (e.g.
>24nv9sot)

  40 bits for that, and trying to remember 5 or 6 of them would be over
kill and very hard to remember.  Diceware is very suited to mnemonic aids
since you are using actual words for the most part and you can construct
a sentence with the words in it to help you remember.

--
  Best Wishes,
    Johnny Bravo

of the human mind to correlate all it's contents." - HPL

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PGP > IBM AS/400 platform?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:56:41 -0500

Has anyone ported PGP to the AS/400 platform yet?

Thanks..

Don

------------------------------

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:35:26 +0100

Dave Hazelwood wrote:

> Everywhere in the world, everyday, peoples phone calls, emails and
> faxes are monitored by Echelon, a secret government
> surveillance network. Former spy Mike Frost cracks Echelon wide open,
> in an interview with Steve Kroft on CBS' 60 MINUTES.

I read in today's newspaper here that the CBS interview revealed
that the former British prime minister let two of her ministers
be 'heared' through Echelon in Canada (not in GB for legal reasons).
One sees that this wonderful apparatus is indeed extremely valuable
in all kinds of contexts.

What the public requires is, I think, encryption of ALL communications,
whether in text, voice or image. The algorithms need not be
extremely strong, just sufficiently strong will be good enough.
For, if the agencies try to decrypt a very huge volume of intercepts
(assuming everything traversing the internet is encrypted), they
would find that the job is infeasible, for there isn't enough computing
resources to do that (if the encryption algorithms are not too
trivial to crack and there is a wide spectrum of different
algorithms -- needing to be identified before analysis).

M. K. Shen
=======================
http://home.t-online.de/home/mok-kong.shen

------------------------------

From: "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: I had a .mil account until I told about it here on the USENET in
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:34:12 GMT

Actually I am 32 years old. Whatever you mean with your words: "skeidaa" "puuholkkiin"
and few others, it is really your matter and not mine. I must say that my Finnish
language is not  perfect for some reasons. You can just take your dick and put it to
your
mouth. I am just telling my story and stating facts and factual statements based on my
extensive analysis and research. I have been a researcher (as one of my careers) since
1990 (so over ten years ..or actually much longer but in one way..) and I have records
prove this, but I do not say where..! So I am with KGB.

So you and your opinions are really irrelevant and do not matter in any way.

Best regards,

Markku

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.security.misc,alt.security.pgp
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:33:52 GMT

Alun Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <8911el$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>I might point out that one of the most common password hashes (at least as
>of a few years ago) encrypts only based on the first eight characters of
>your password.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!

You've *got* to be kidding!

Any decent encryption software would have *no* problem with hashing the
*entire* password. The word "snakeoil" springs to mind wrt anything less...

(Unless I misunderstood your post, of course!)

--
Sarah Dean
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URL above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Nelson)
Subject: Re: RDSTC instruction on Pentiums for RNGs
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:44:07 GMT

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:57:59 GMT, Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It would appear to me that the RDSTC instruction on pentium machines
>can be used to generate 8 bits of random data at a time with no
>significant deterministic way of knowing what bits would follow
>next.  (I assume only the least significant 8 bits are used).
>
>I would imagine that the bus speed, memory speed, off board cache,
>types of peripheral cards installed, etc., OS, other applications
>and services, user input devices, all of these would interact with
>the code execution path to make the RDSTC instruction non
>deterministic to any observer.
>
>As always, any thoughts are appreciated...

It's dangerous to confuse complex with unpredictable.
True, it's extremely difficult to determine,
but it is never the less, deterministic.

Imagine a system where RDSTC is executed inside a tight loop.
Do you really think the values will be unrelated?

Now extend that to a larger loop.  What has changed to make
the values no longer related?

Scott Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "C. Henderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.security.pgp,alt.security.scramdisk,comp.security.misc,comp.security.pgp.discuss
Subject: Re: Are "self-shredding" files possible?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:44:00 -0700

Just a thought on this..

Any type of file that would carry some flavor of this type of  "extra" data or
enhancement could be construed as a file with a virus payload.. Somewhere there
would need to be a delete or overwrite string that could set off a virus
scanner. I have had several shareware progs that have code in them that will
make the program "stop working". but none have deleted themselves.

------------------------------

From: "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.politics.org.cia,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.soviet,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.nordic,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.israel,soc.culture.china,alt.security
Subject: US Intelligence Community does spy on international business (all kinds
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:41:25 GMT

Basically, I was within the program and system of the US Intelligence
Community that was spying on other businesses and individuals. The US
National Security Strategy is heavily based on economical performance
and objectives and US government steals any information in the
categories of special intelligence topics to protect the US National
Security Strategy or this is how they call it. Many counter intelligence
activities are just offensive intelligence programs geared toward
acquiring the information of other businesses, their operations and
business intelligence. This is the mindset of the US National Security
Council and Advisors and the tope of the CIA/ NSA. FBI is just
protecting these programs and actually are violating also all kinds of
laws and regulations. So when these politicians are talking about
"potential espionage or spying", they are just implementing the US
covert action to protect the intelligence system and try to maintain
some good relations with some so called "friendly nations". The US
Intelligence Community is operating in trade organizations, commercial
enterprises, standards bodies and so on (see some examples from my
postings where I have been - and especially good luck with your
operations here in Coopers, Ramos and Lee - Miami ). In addition, many
internet businesses and operators such as few mailing list runners such
as ISO 9000 are within their system. I have specific experiences of this
that I have posted in 1999 on the USENET (Some of my message such as TL
9000 were not distributed although they were discussing relevant issues
and were based on factual statements - basically I had changed the
direction of my thinking and my postings were immediately rejected) Many
U.S. people operating in international business in the US are under
cover and providing the business information from these businesses to
the US intelligence services operating within the US and globally too
for the U.S. companies. This is their ways of maintaining "economic
leadership and competitiveness". If I would be the CEO of any
international company, I would initiate the complete polygraph testing
of all and any U.S. people working in my company.

And then I read these stories that are just describing covert actions to
protect the US Intelligence Community.

"   ....... evel playing field in big international contracts.”

"                 European Suspicions
                 European furor centers around a massive eavesdropping
                 and information sharing system run by the United
States,
                 Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, which is
                 believed to intercept as many as 3 billion phone, fax
and
                 e-mail transmissions worldwide every day (see
interactive
                 and video, above).
"

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/echelon000224.html

------------------------------

From: "Ralph C. Merkle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cryonics and cryptanalysis
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:49:40 -0800

Cryonics and cryptanalysis might seem entirely unrelated.

Cryonics freezes people when current medical technology is unable to
keep them alive, with the hope that future technology will be able to
restore them to good health.

Cryptanalysis seeks to recover the plaintext from ciphertext despite the
obscuring effects of encryption.

What could possibly be more different?  People are flesh and blood,
cryptanalysis deals with bits and algorithms.

But can people be described by bits?  In the past several years, quite a
few authors have pointed out that a sufficiently precise description of
a human being -- a description in bits -- provides a "snapshot" of that
human being at a specific point in time.  Given the "snapshot," we could
in principal restore the human being.

While there is some debate about how accurate such a snapshot would have
to be, technological advances seem likely to give us the ability to
describe a person down to the atoms and molecules from which they were
made.  So, at some point, mere bits could completely describe a person.
Such a description, combined with a technology able to  reconstruct the
original from the description, implies that a human being can be
transformed into mere bits and back again.

Which brings us to cryonics: freezing people to preserve them until some
future technology can reverse the freezing injury.

(The actual cryonic suspension process is more complex than just
"freezing," typically involving the vascular perfusion both of
cryoprotectants to limit ice formation and the use of a washout solution
similar to the ones used to protect transplated organs.  This does not
change the nature of the basic points made here).

The major concern in cryonics is that the process of freezing will
inflict sufficient damage that no future technology could reverse it.
Indeed, it seems quite unlikely that the kind of methods currently
employed in medicine would ever be able to restore a mammal frozen with
current methods to an acceptable state of good health.

The picture changes quite dramatically if we adopt the information
theoretic perspective.  The frozen person is now a high density analog
storage medium which was subjected to an initial transformation.  We
seek to recover the healthy state ("plaintext") given the frozen state
("ciphertext") despite the effects of cryonic suspension ("encryption").

Some years ago, I published a short paper on "Cryonics, Cryptography,
and Maximum Likelihood Estimation" (see
http://www.merkle.com/cryo/cryptoCryo.html) pointing out this parallel.
Given the ability of future technology to analyze frozen tissue and
describe it digitally down to the last atom, and given the future
availability of massive computational power to analyze this mass of
bits, it seems likely that we will be able to infer an acceptable
digital description of the "healthy state" of a frozen person.  When
combined with advances in nanotechnology, this should let us restore the
person to good health.

Just as digital restoration can restore photographs that have been
extensively damaged, so digital restoration should be able to restore a
person despite the damage done by a less-than-perfect cryonic
suspension.

Viewing the available alternatives, and having always had an intuitive
sense that digital methods would allow reversal of much more extensive
damage than could ever be reversed by conventional medical techniques, I
signed up some years ago with a cryonics organization (Alcor,
www.alcor.org).

In retrospect, this intuitive sense might have been a consequence of my
background in cryptanalysis.  If so, others with such a background might
find the conclusions I reached of interest, and wish to explore this set
of ideas further.

My page on cryonics is at http://www.merkle.com/cryo
My page on nanotechnology is at http://www.zyvex.com/nano
Alcor (the largest cryonics organization) has its home page at
http://www.alcor.org
I'm co-chairing an upcoming conference:
   The Fourth Alcor Conference on Life Extension Technologies
   June 17-18 2000 at Asilomar.  Register by March 1 for on-site
lodging.
   See http://www.alcor.org/conf.htm for more information.
And, of course, my paper pointing out the parallels between cryonics and
cryptanalysis is at

From: "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.politics.org.cia,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.soviet,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.nordic,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.french,soc.culture.spain,alt.security
Subject: The former CIA directors are just playing roles .. they are involved in
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:51:28 GMT

The CIA and NSA have been spying and have records and databases of most
business communications that are relevant to the U.S. National Security
Strategy as it pertains to the economic performance and objectives. All
business, technology and other aspects of the economy are their targets
and the US people as I have learnt just go to some nations and acquire
the information with collaboration of their agents who are betraying
their nations for the economical performance of the USA. I know one
person in Seattle who has contacts to some Finnish people working for HP
and these people are just acquiring specific eonomical data and
information. These names shall be made public. All U.S. high-tech
companies operating in other regions are one way or another covers for
the U.S. Intelligence Community. There are networks in these commercial
enterprises.

And the former CIA Director James Woosley is just an actor ..

"
 But
                 former CIA Director James Woolsey and a current U.S.
                 official say such information probably was used only in

                 certain instance

"

------------------------------

From: "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Go after all and any CIA and NSA and FBI officers, controllers,
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:56:40 GMT

Go after all and any CIA and NSA and FBI officers, controllers, handlers and
their agents and destroy their networks completely.

There are massive human networks operating in all regions of the world and
in Europe these US Intelligence Community driven establishments are stealing
the economic and business information from European businesses to decrease
the European competitiveness.

Best regards,

Markku

From: "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:07:42 GMT

In few days I shall start putting some audio snippets onto the USENET:
alt.politics.org.cia from audio recordings that provide facts and evidences that
I have used to make my conclusions and factual statements and published these
and others in 1999. Actually, I have done some extensive research for many
years. I have many audio tapes since 1989. I have people on the record !

Best regards,

Markku