From: "ink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Large Int Lib for Delphi
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:37:22 +0100

Thank you very much!

Ryan Phillips schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Neila Nessa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: Large interger package for VB? (longreply with source)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:44:47 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty,sci.math

This isn't what you are looking for either, but I found it to be an amusing
site ;-)
http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/b/bignum.html
Neila

news:88v4cn$hrj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "csabine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.pgp,misc.survivalism
Subject: Re: Does the NSA have ALL Possible PGP keys?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:43:48 -0000

Kinda reminds of what Descartes once said:

************
Of all things, good sense is the most fairly distributed: everyone thinks he
is so well supplied with it that even those who are the hardest to satisfy
in every other respect never desire more of it than they already have.
Discours de la M彋hode. 1637.
************

Colin.

From: "csabine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.pgp
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:50:10 -0000

I'm sure that God would give a suitable philosophical answer to such a
question, but it would not be the answer you sought. After all, it is rather
a 'mathematically' dumb question to ask.

Colin.

------------------------------

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Passwords secure against dictionary attacks?
Crossposted-To: comp.security.misc,alt.security.pgp
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:02:13 GMT

Thanks, that's a pretty interesting response.

National Organization for the Repeal of the Federal Reserve: www.norfed.org
The Foundation for the Advancement of Monetary Education:      www.fame.org
E-gold: A privately issued e-currency backed by metals:      www.e-gold.com
Principia Publishing:                                  www.principiapub.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gordon Walker)
Subject: Re: US secret agents work at Microsoft claims French intelligence report
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:11:06 GMT

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:07:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave
Hazelwood) wrote:

>Remember the snippet above came from a report by the French
>Intelligence Service and not some whacko fan of Skully and Moulder.

Actually, the snippet is *reported* to have come from the French
Intelligence Service. I haven't seen the report and none of the major
news services seem to have reported on it yet.
--
Gordon Walker

------------------------------

From: Volker Hetzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Transmitting ciphered data
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:27:05 +0000

Markus Eiber wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am looking for some aspects on how ciphering data might influence the
> efficiency of transmission systems.
> Are there any references on this topic?
Not much.
Encryption might impair error recovery as in many encryption systems
errors get propagated over a wide area (an encryption block, the remaining
message or the whole message).
Special encryption modes and stream ciphers may be employed to make recovery
easier.
Many books on cryptography (like Bruce Schneiers "Applied Cryptography")
deal with error progagation too.
As to partial recovery (like for sound transmission), you should consider that
incorrectly decrypted data does not read as silence, but as white noise.
IMOOMDH, but you would probably want to split your data into blocks and transmit
the blocks along with their checksums so you can discard individual blocks at the
receiving end (and possibly request resends).

Greetings!
Volker

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Implementation of Crypto on DSP
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:53:32 GMT

> Given that all this stuff exists in portable C, and you can get decent
> C compilers these days, you could just run the code through a
compiler.
> DES might benefit from hand-tuning; the rest probably not all that
much.
> (As I recall, there's even a GCC for TI, don't know if it's 100% done
> yet.)

I am surprised that there is not much benefit in hand optimisation.  10
years ago it was a rule of thumb that a good assembler program would get
you speed benefits of 5 or more....  Things must have really
changed....Are C compilers that good..?  All they all the same
quality...or some more super optimised then others..

But I must point out,  that maybe the case for perhaps a Uni-processor
SISD  machine,  but with pipleline and multi-architecture DSP's..I would
suggest that hand optimisation plays a very significant gain...
Vectorising compilesr have not reached the staet of the art of ordinary
optimizing compilers.

We have done some hand calculations for 3DES on an SIMD machine,  and it
turns out that the bottleneck in the algorithm is the Table lookup.  The
excl OR runs super fast ( few orders of magnitude faster then table
lookup)...

Maybe someone should design a Block cipher with minimum amout of table
lookup and mainly logical bit operations....are you listening Peter  :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Nicol)
Subject: DES algorithm
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:40:03 -0400

There is an excellent article on the DES algorithm in the Notices of The
American Mathematical Society,March,volume 47,Number 3.
It was written by Susan Landau and should cetainly be read by anyone
interested in block cipher designs.
C.Nicol

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RSA Speed
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:04:26 GMT

> With x86 ASM on a 350mhz, I'm currently getting
> 17ms for encryption and 1ms for decryption.
> This is the ball park to aim for.  At this point most improvements are
> efficiency in coding vs algorithm choices.

It would be interesting to compare this timming with C Code...Do you
have any results on this?.  Reason why I am asking,  is because there is
a thread where someone is claiming that you dont get significant
improvement in speeds by hand coding in assembler.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Subject: Re: need help! decryption
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:44:14 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This arrived in my email and I have no idea what it is, can someone tell
> me how to decypher it?
>
> Thanx in advance...
>
> Subject:
>         真實的故事,請你我一齊來關心
>    From:
>         Nothing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I should has said *most* since a few uc letters are included.  thy might
just be format things.
--
Regarding healthcare, when GWB became govenor, Texas was 43 in
the nation, now we are 49th.  And, I need not tell you about his

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wtshaw)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:42:10 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This arrived in my email and I have no idea what it is, can someone tell
> me how to decypher it?
>
> Thanx in advance...
>
> Subject:
>         真實的故事,請你我一齊來關心
>    From:
>         Nothing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Since the characters appear in the upper ascii range, and routine ones are
in the lower, try checking for minimum and maximum ascii values to see if
an easy subtraction can bring it back to earth.

From: Jean-Jacques Quisquater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DES algorithm
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:30:48 +0100

See

http://www.ams.org/notices/200003/fea-landau.pdf

Jean-Jacques Quisquater,

------------------------------

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shorter key public algo?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:36:58 -0800

Mike Rosing wrote:

> ECC with correct parameters is plenty secure.  You can use 100 bit
> keys with ECC and get the same as 768 RSA security.  There are lots
> of sources available, many of them free.

    Lenstra and Verheul seem to put the equivalence it in the 122/124 bits
range.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Herring)
Date: 23 Feb 2000 16:00:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jamie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> This arrived in my email and I have no idea what it is, can someone tell
> me how to decypher it?

It's not enciphered...

> Subject:
>         真實的故事,請你我一齊來關心
>    From:
>         Nothing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Install Chinese fonts. That .tw is the clue.
Then you will be able to read spam in Chinese as well as English ;-)

--
Richard Herring      | <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>