From: Bryan Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding prime numbers
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:55:21 GMT

Scott Fluhrer had written:

Anton Stiglic wrote:

> Even better:  there is a prime between p and p + 1/5p,
> for primes p > 9.
[...]
> but these gaps are polynomial in p, not log(p).

Yes, I overlooked just that.  Scott is right that this
is a flaw in my argument.  We can say that for random
n, next_prime(n) is average-case polynomial in the size
of n, but the hypothesis of a constant-time next_prime
didn't say what case and the usual default is worst-case.

--Bryan
--
email: bolson at certicom dot com

From: James Felling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cipher design a fading field?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:10:36 -0500

John Savard wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:21:52 GMT, "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote, in part:
> >Tim Tyler wrote:
>
> >> If the size of the program is constrained, a halting determination program
> >> could be written which enumerates all programs of that size or shorter and
> >> lists whether they halt or not.
>
> >It "lists" them how?
>
> Well, if the size of the RAM available to a program is limited, not
> just the size of the program itself, then a program with N bits of
> storage available to it can have only 2^N distinct states. Hence, if
> it doesn't halt after 2^N instructions, it is proven that it will
> never halt.

That is true, to a point.  It runs into the problem however of false
halts/indeterminate states where internal values overflow the RAM ( i.e. the
program would halt if there was more available space, but there is not...).

If one sulficiently constrains the system the halting problem may be resolved
relative to that system, but not relative to the programs being evaluated.  If
the system is finite in all respects one may determine ( using a larger system
the behavior of any program that can run upon that system, but you get  3
possible evaluations (halts, doesn't halt, produces error condition) and you
really cannot claim that "produces error condition" is a "halt" in the clasic
halting problem sense.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:27:08 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Tyler wrote:

> Trevor L. Jackson, III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [much snip]
>
> : The key question becomes whether the program can be written small enough
> : to fit within itself (this is a data compression issue).  If so then the
> : Halting Problem can't be constructed because such a lookup program will
> : halt after reporting that it will do so.
>
> While the issue of whether the table can be compressed to the size of the
> programs whose status it lists may have some curiosity value, I can't see
> it as a key question - since the halting problem doesn't exist for
> any particular finite set of programs anyway - regardless of how much
> the list mentioned can be compressed.
>
> There /will/ exist some (possibly very large) finite program that says
> which programs from the specified finite set terminate.
>
> This is a different case from that presented by the halting problem -
> which says that no such program can possibly exist.

Yes.

However, the halting problem is typically constructed by applying a program to
itself (halting if the program it's analyzing does not).  If the lookup
program is too large to apply to itself, then the construction is impossible
by the premises of the problem rather than by the undecidable behavior.  If
the program is small enough to fit within its lookup table then it can be
applied to itself, but will always halt, thus demonstrating decidable
behavior.

There's a deep connection to class-of-all-classes paradoxes that disappears
when the metaclass isn't required to be an element of the base class it
categorizes.

------------------------------

From: "Beth Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My lastest paper on Block Ciphers
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:15:57 -0500

Runu Knips wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Anton Stiglic wrote:
>> If you compile a .ps on one machine, you might not be able to get
>> the .pdf on another.
>
>Where did you get THAT idea ? .ps is as device independent as .dvi.

Yes and no.  PostScript is device independent for printing, but I've had
times when I tried to generate a PDF from a PS file where I didn't have the
fonts used in the file on my system.  The PDF would generate okay, and print
okay, but it looked like hell on the screen.  See
http://www.counterpane.com/audit-logs.pdf for the sort of thing I mean.

>> If you start out with the .dvi format (which you get out of latex),
>> then you can get a .ps and .pdf on any machine.
>
>.ps is Postscript, and Postscript is a page description language.
>The only problem you might get is if you have not stored a font in
>the .ps and the other machine doesn't have it either.

Exactly.  Does saving a file as .dvi allow you to generate a readable PDF on
another machine if it's missing the fonts?

--
Beth Friedman

From: "Paul Pires" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Random sboxes... real info
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:23:24 -0700

I heard (i.e didn't pay attention to the source, probably the Discovery
Channel) that this was one of the failings of Enigma. The machine was
designed so that the output character could never be the input character &
therefore was flawed since potential settings could easily be excluded with
a small crib. Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Paul

David A. Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ib68s$heo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Nope, I stand by my statement.
>
> You might want to think about this more carefully.  Here's a useful
> thought experiment.  Consider the following two universes:
>    Universe A: We encrypt using a permutation chosen uniformly at random
>                from the set of all permutations.
>    Universe B: We encrypt using a permutation chosen uniformly at random
>                from everything but the identity permutation.
> I claim that (A) is strictly stronger than (B).
>
> The way to think about this is to look for an attack that lets you
> read encrypted traffic.  If you can find an attack which works strictly
> better against (A) then (B), you will have proven your point.  I claim
> you can't.  Have a try! :-)
>
> To give a feeling for it, let me debunk the proposed attack you sketched:
>
> > An OTP is used once.  A block cypher may potentially be used to encypher
> > *many* blocks.  If the permuting transform used is the identity
> > transformation, the analyst is likely to notice this at once in (say)
ECB

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:39:17 -0400
From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.security.pgp,comp.security.firewalls,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Is Gretchen down?

Read some history re transatlantic cables.  The telegraph companies swore that the
messages were private, but everything was copied to the appropriate government
agency.

What do you think has changed since then?

------------------------------

From: zapzing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:19:55 GMT

In article <8i7smf$mvo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Rex Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't see anything wrong with putting one part or another
> under a microscope.  Most of the progress in this field is
> accomplished by dissecting constructions into thier parts,
> looking for peculiarities in each part and then seeing if a
> peculiarity will provide a weakness in the overall construction.
>
> Also, he seems to be placing several parts under the microscope
> this month - as you noticed, he is also seeing how these s-boxes
> work in constructions (see your own last paragraph).
> (Frankly I don't see how he covers so much ground in such
> a short time)

I must confess I didn't follow it all exactly,
and I could be wrong, but I didn't see
anywhere where he tried using large key
dependent sboxes.

--
If you know about a retail source of
inexpensive DES chips, please let

From: zapzing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeekPress: Will Cyber Criminals Run the World?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:25:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Rosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> zapzing wrote:
> > If you know about a retail source of
> > inexpensive DES chips, please let
> > me know,  thanks.
>
> You can get DES and 3-DES cores for about $10k.  See Xilinx and
Xentec.
> www.xilinx.com/ipcenter has data sheets.

Hmmm ... $10K? Well I was thinking more in
the range of 100-200 dollars. I don't
need to do several Mbits per second, only
say about 1/100 of that.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: hmac and 'length' issues
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:40:02 GMT

> HMAC prevents this type of attack because a direct hash of the message
> is not exposed:

David, thank you. :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin)
Crossposted-To:
uk.media.newspapers,uk.legal,alt.security.pgp,alt.privacy,uk.politics.parliament,uk.politics.crime,talk.politics.crypto,alt.ph.uk,alt.conspiracy.spy,alt.politics.uk,alt.security.scramdisk,uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Observer 4/6/2000: "Your privacy ends here"
Date: 15 Jun 2000 19:31:05 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:47:30 +0200, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

>Paul Shirley wrote:
>
>> Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>> >The scheme is for use with arbitrary texts from books, e.g. religious
>> >ones, and newspapers and such stuffs and doesn't carry any secret
>> >messages. Its purpose is only to waste and hopefully exhaust the
>> >resources of the interceptors. I originally had that idea in a thread
>> >of sci.crypt discussing better ways (than incorporating sentitive
>> >words into e-mails) of jamming Echelon and similar machineries.
>>
>> Then you've missed the point of monkey wrenching RIP. It does not matter
>> what the message is, only that its been encrypted. If it has been
>> encrypted the options for 'wasting time' are severely limited. Either
>> you hand the key over or go to prison.
>
>You didn't read a previous post of mine which had a bit detail saying
>that the key, a seed of a PRNG, is sent as a prefix to the ciphertext.
>So handing over the key is trivial and I remain outside of the prison :)

You could also modify your method to serve as an offbeat steganographic
algorithm:

If you were feeling malicious, you wouldn't use a 'set text' - you'd
start with a one byte message (e.g. "G"). Get your 'key' from a genuine
RNG, and use it to seed the PRNG to encrypt your one-byte file.

Then you'd get another 'key' for the PRNG from the RNG and encrypt the
cypher-text + the first key. Then repeat the process a few hundreds of
thousands of times.

The Men In Black have no reliable way of telling whether or not, at
iteration n, there is a genuine cypher-text - if there is, it would
still unvravel to an arbitrary, single byte 'plaintext' if the reverse
algorithm were applied to it.

Are they going to serve you with warrants to disclose the 'key' to
all of the thousands of possible cypher-texts in the document, in the
vague hope that one of them will decode to something incriminating?

They have to decide for themselves whether the file contains one byte
of information + 100k of junk, 100k of encrypted information + no junk,
or something in between. Then a judge has to be convinced of their
reasons for beliveing this.

Regards, Colin.

--

"It's the only thing I can't lie about."
   Tony Blair, on cooking (CEEFAX 1 p146-1, 8/4/00).

------------------------------

From: James Felling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: small subgroups in Blum Blum Shub
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:50:27 -0500

tomstd wrote:

> [...]
> lordcow77

> RSA
> factoring
> land in
> was
> be
> >>
> >> I think your interpretation is wrong, and I recommend the
> BB&S paper
> >> to you:
> >>
> >> Blum, L., M. Blum and M. Shub. 1983. Comparison of Two Pseudo-
> Random
> >> Number Generators. Advances in Cryptology: CRYPTO '82
> Proceedings.
> >> Plenum Press: New York. 61-78.
> >>
> >> BB&S did expect large primes; the requirement for "special"
> primes was
> >> to guarantee that the system had cycles of some long, known
> and
> >> computable length.  The existence of cycles of known length
> made it
> >> possible to efficiently check that any particular initial
> value x0 was
> >> on such a cycle, and to choose another x0 if not.  Short
> cycles
> >> certainly do exist in BB&S, and short cycles
> are "exploitable."  The
> >> selection procedure thus eliminates the possibility that x0
> is on a
> >> short cycle, and so provides a *guarantee* of that form of
> strength.
> >> That sort of a *guarantee* is simply not present when we just
> choose
> >> x0 at random and hope for the best, even if x0 is very, very
> likely to
> >> be on a long cycle.
> >
> >lordcow77's interpretation is correct. The safety of using
> randomly
> >chosen primes of appropriate sizes is built into the underlying
> >intractability assumption. To put things in perspective, the
> whole point
> >of using cryptography is to reduce the probability of "bad
> things
> >happening" to some acceptably low level, say 2^{-L} for some
> >sufficiently large L. (There's no defense against dumb luck on
> the part
> >of the adversary). Not using special primes may affect the
> value of L
> >for a given choice of security parameter (so you may have to
> adjust your
> >security parameter), but it does not affect the asymptotic
> behavior of
> >security as a function of the security parameter.
>
> I don't know why people still consider the BBS generator.  It's
> not very safe.
>
> Let's ask some questions:
>
> 1.  How do you use it?  Well construct "special" primes and use
> a relatively prime root.  I have seen to use 3 mod 4 primes and
> p- strong primes...
>
> 2.  What is the period?  Gosh-geez I dunno, pretty darn big!
>
> 3.  How fast is it?  Well at 2kb/sec we now have the fastest
> prng.
>
> Woopy.  It's hard to use, big and slow.  BAD IDEA!

Yes, it is big, ugly and slow. OTOH it is provably as good as the underlying
intractible problem, and it is one of the only PRNG's with that property.

Given we want something PROVABLY difficult to attack with a long period, it
really is the only game in town. Sure it isn't a great game, but its all that is
available.