From: "Scheidsrechter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crypto" by Steven Levy E-Book Posting
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:09:25 GMT

It's in HTML format so Netscape or Internet Explorer will do.

--
Scheidsrechter
Despam for correct email

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Frank Gerlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The creation of the DES s-boxes - thanks
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:56:46 +0200

DJohn37050 wrote:

> That paper is interesting but there is another later one by Don Coppersmith
> that I was referring to that (according to Don) gives ALL the security design
> criteria of DES.
> Don Johnson

Sure, the NSA is not a black chamber, not any more. Next month, all their
mathematicians will post their papers on the internet. And Santa will come to
you, too.

------------------------------

From: "Carpe Diem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OT:on what newsserver can i find alt.binaries - Re: Crypto" by Steven Levy
E-Book Posting
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:46:31 -0600

Where a newsserver which supports the alt.binaries newsgroups? Mine has none
of them. (By the way I already used Google, but found nothing helpful)

news:u16w6.44312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Carpe Diem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT:on what newsserver can i find alt.binaries - Re: Crypto" by Steven
Levy E-Book Posting
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:47:23 -0600

> Where

_can I find_

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:00:24 +0200

Scheidsrechter wrote:

> If anyone is interested, today a posting was made of this book on
> alt.binaries.e-book and alt.binaries.e-books.

Unfortunately my server doesn't yet have these groups.
(It has 67 groups in alt.binaries and alt.books.electronic.)

Could you say something about the book, if you have read it?

From: Bertrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Idea - (LONG)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:07:46 -0400

Sincerely, I do not like to bother others.
I suggested an idea, just an idea. I did not publish all the complete
algo.
I'm not a mathematician.
I'm not a cryptographer.
I'm just an amateur.
What I proposed : three ideas.
1. How to send easily via network any text ( encrypted or not) using a
simple function to mask the text.
If I send you A = M + or - k
M is still changing
K is ( I suppose it fixed even if I have an idea to change it every
session)
The eavedropper has only A. Mathematically speaking you CAN'T find k.
y=x+k => the attacker knows x, he can't guess nor k nor y. He may try to
use difference between 2 or more communications. But If M is random (its
structure is not random, I know that), the attacker is helpless.

2. I proposed a simple cipher ( you have to skip the step cesar) wich
allow me to assign to each character a billion of values. How could the
attacker have access to wich categories I used and find any information
to guess it.

3. I proposed the idea of crypto using GPS or any other device as
subkey.

That's all.

Now I have decided to not post. Just reading. And nothing more than
reading.

Thank you.
I apologize for disturbing other people.

Bye bye.

------------------------------

From: "Kristopher Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pike stream cipher
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:02:07 GMT

No, we're not incompotent [sic].  People ignore you because you're often
abusive and insulting.  Any intelligent comments you make are often ignored
because of the associated negativity.  You may think that's our problem, not
yours, but I'd disagree.  If you want to be taken seriously, you have to act
seriously.

This forum is intended for communication of ideas.  When you post insults,
it detracts from that.

-- Kris

news:B91w6.143831$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Chris Eason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: Perl public key encryption
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:29:17 +0100

"those who know me have no need of my name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [note: this is really a security rather than a cryptography issue]

Noted. Sorry if this went to the wrong group.

> <wyBv6.50241$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> divulged:
>
> >I suppose the encrypted data from the remote browser will be decrypted
> >by Apache HTTP server and passed on to the Perl program. The Perl
> >program will then encrypt it again before writing it to a file on the
> >webserver.
>
> ... provided the perl program hasn't been tampered with.

True. Any suggestions as to how this could be prevented?

> anyway, you might want to see if they have pgp or gpg installed, then you
> can use Crypt::PGP2, Crypt::PGP5, or Crypt::GPG.  be careful not use
> write a temporary cleartext file.

Sadly, as I mentioned in my first post, my first choice ISP has stated that
they will not allow the use of PGP on their webservers 'as it requires root
access'. This sounds like a load of nonsense to me, so I'm looking at other
ISP's who do provide PGP.

> >But, incidentally, getting the data to my PC is another reason
> >why I want the data to be encrypted, since my ISP doesn't support secure
> >FTP.
>
> umm.  use https: to transfer the files.

Yes, but isn't this rather tedious if there are lots of files to download?
I'm not saying that it's so tedious you wouldn't bother, but it could get to
be a real pain. Encrypting the files first and using FTP would be just as
good. I will look at secure Telnet programs too, since it might be more
secure to FTP out from the UNIX box than into it, presuming you log in
securely to do this via a secure Telnet session.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:34:18 GMT

Bertrand wrote:
> Try to read what I had proposed before insulting.
> Read it!!!!
> And then we can talk.

You don't need to talk, you need to take to heart the good
advice offered to you by people like Erwann.

------------------------------

From: "John L. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Data dependent arcfour via sbox feedback
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:43:51 GMT

Ken Savage wrote:

> John Savard wrote:
> >
> > On 23 Mar 2001 14:53:51 -0800, Ken Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,
> > in part:
> >
> > >Any thoughts?  Replies via newsgroup or email -- I read both :)
> >
> > Making something like RC4 dependent on the plaintext will collide with
> > Terry Ritter's Dynamic Substitution patent.
>
> I had a look at:  http://www.io.com/~ritter/DYNSUB.HTM
>
> RC4 shuffles the sbox itself; the modification I've done does not
> make the mixing any different.  Thus, if rc4 doesn't violate the
> patent, I don't see how this mod does.

I have been playing with this rc4 variation that *does* shuffle
the sbox differently, based on the encrypted data:

        c = 0;
        for( i = 0; i < len; i++ ) {
          x = (x + 1) & 255;
          y = (y + sbox[x] + c) & 255;
          swap( sbox[x], sbox[y] );
          data[i] ^= sbox[(sbox[x] + sbox[y]) & 255];
          c = data[i];
        }

Decryption simply reverses the last two lines in the loop.  Any
glaring flaws?

John.

------------------------------

From: Paul Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Mar 2001 14:50:35 -0800

Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Unfortunately my server doesn't yet have these groups.
> (It has 67 groups in alt.binaries and alt.books.electronic.)
>
> Could you say something about the book, if you have read it?

I have it (paper edition).  I haven't read the whole thing yet but I've
flipped around.  It looks pretty good.

------------------------------

From: Bertrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:35:02 -0400

????

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard)
Subject: Re: Newbie wants to shuffle... (Thank you)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:56:40 GMT

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:41:38 -0100, Peter Engehausen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote, in part:

>Thanks! I'll look it up and check out sci.crypt...-numbers too...

The algorithm given by Henrick Hellstrom is the correct one to use; it
can be modified to use a source of pseudorandom numbers each time
instead of using one large random integer, and in that form is the
common algorithm for random shuffles.

John Savard
http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:51:31 GMT

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:51:25 +0200, Mok-Kong Shen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote, in part:

>E-books have to be loaded into corresponding hardware,
>isn't it?

Not when they're pirated. It's only legitimate E-books that are in
that kind of restricted format.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Savard)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:54:34 GMT

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:30:52 GMT, Ken Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote, in part:

>I had a look at:  http://www.io.com/~ritter/DYNSUB.HTM

>RC4 shuffles the sbox itself; the modification I've done does not
>make the mixing any different.  Thus, if rc4 doesn't violate the
>patent, I don't see how this mod does.

Well, 'data dependent' implied to me that the shuffling depended on
the plaintext, which is exactly what distinguishes Dynamic
Substitution from RC4.

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:57:05 +0200

Bertrand wrote:

> Sincerely, I do not like to bother others.
> I suggested an idea, just an idea. I did not publish all the complete
> algo.
> I'm not a mathematician.
> I'm not a cryptographer.
> I'm just an amateur.
> What I proposed : three ideas.
> 1. How to send easily via network any text ( encrypted or not) using a
> simple function to mask the text.
> If I send you A = M + or - k
> M is still changing
> K is ( I suppose it fixed even if I have an idea to change it every
> session)
> The eavedropper has only A. Mathematically speaking you CAN'T find k.
> y=x+k => the attacker knows x, he can't guess nor k nor y. He may try to
> use difference between 2 or more communications. But If M is random (its
> structure is not random, I know that), the attacker is helpless.
>
> 2. I proposed a simple cipher ( you have to skip the step cesar) wich
> allow me to assign to each character a billion of values. How could the
> attacker have access to wich categories I used and find any information
> to guess it.
>
> 3. I proposed the idea of crypto using GPS or any other device as
> subkey.
>
> That's all.
>
> Now I have decided to not post. Just reading. And nothing more than
> reading.
>
> Thank you.
> I apologize for disturbing other people.
>
> Bye bye.

In the present context, I guess that your decision might
indeed not be a bad one, for it would be to your
advantage, saving you much time which you could invest
in learning crypto or for doing other matters.

M. K. Shen