From: Gary Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSA, ECDSA, RSA
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:12:16 -0500

Thank you very much for your thorough explaination and time required to type
it all.

From: "Paul Pires" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: function decomposition
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:17:18 -0700

Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:o1mM6.103182$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Paul Pires" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:SUlM6.124212$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ArlM6.103051$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Matt Timmermans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:sdlM6.1840$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> in
> > >
> > > Nice info.  Even ugly ones would interest me now...  I'm new to the
> > > decomposition scene.
> >
> > Your new is probably much sharper than mine.
> > If anyone is following this who needs a much more basic book,
> > can I suggest?
> >
> > Beebop to the boolian boogie.
> >

> > No Joke, that's the name.
> >
> > It's a real primer but the author does a great job.
>
> I will look into it... nice site!

It's an eclectic work. He dances all over the place
but it ends up making sense. Truth tables and Karnaugh Maps,
Epitaxial fab techniques, FPGA's. It's a fun ride.

Paul

From: Gary Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best algo
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:30:28 -0500

Tom St Denis wrote:

> "Nils Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9dpdb8$j0gbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > cant deffie-hellman be used to distribute the key
> >
> > I need something more secure, because anyone might be listening, and catch
> > the key. I dont want to involve a third part either...
>
> Well typically (i.e. in theory) DH is very secure.  It's completely
> vulnerable to mitm attacks though...

Is it vulnerable to mitm attack even if the two participants already know the
"public data" necessary to form the session key?  I'm relatively new to this, so
I want to make sure I understand what the vulnerability really is.  I've read
that the public data could be a simple as using another entity's public
certificate.  If I know the certificate I'm inspecting is authentic - is DH
secure?

Or, is the point that typically I _don't_ know that the certificate I'm
inspecting is really from the party I wish to establish a secure connection
with, because after I request the certificate, "mitm" will replace the
"authentic" one with his own.  Is this why it's insecure?

Please advise.  You may also respond directly to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.

Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:45:45 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Is the Quality of Randomness?

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 03:47:05 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are low exponents a problem with RSA?

DJohn37050 wrote:
> Use of a larger RSA public exponent might help to protect against the r=
isk
> of an RNG failure.  For example, if the RNG is STUCK at a constant valu=
e,
> this it is NO value at all and the OAEP or whatever formatted messages =
will
> be related, which is a concern.

Obviously it invalidates the security proof (the fixed version by Fujisak=
i,
Okamoto, Pointcheval, and Stern), but I would be surprised if there were =
any
practical attack on OAEP due specifically to using low exponents with a
broken RNG.

Clearly, no public key encryption scheme can be secure against plaintext
guessing (a.k.a. forward search) attacks if it is deterministic, as will =
be
the case with a completely stuck RNG. So this is not a reason to choose f=
ull
exponents over low exponents, because it applies to both.

The version of OAEP standardised in IEEE Std 1363-2000 and PKCS #1 v2.0 i=
this:

  OAEP(r, M, P) =3D (DB XOR G(r)) || (r XOR H(DB XOR G(r)))
  where DB =3D h(P) || 0^k || 1 || M
         P =3D encoding parameters (often zero length)

If the RNG is stuck, then the effect is basically to XOR the message
(encoded as DB) with the fixed pseudorandom string G(stuck_r), then
append a a hash of this at the low-order end, so that the RSA block is
filled. Even this very simple masking can reasonably be expected to be
quite effective at preventing H=E5stad and similar related-message attack=
s,
as long as the messages are not chosen to depend on G(stuck_r). Of course=

if an attacker chooses messages, it could make their encodings linearly
related, but that is not a useful attack (being able to *recognise* a
message with an encoding linearly related to one chosen by the attacker
is also not useful, because forward search as discussed above is a more
efficient way of doing that).

There is even less reason to be concerned about OAEP with an RNG that
is weak, but not completely stuck. Notice that r never appears directly
in the OAEP output (i.e. the RSA function input), except XOR'd with the
output of a hash. Provided the RNG outputs different seeds for different
messages, then the OAEP outputs will be "random looking" and effectively
independent (or at least not linearly related), regardless of whether the=

messages are related. It should not even be possible to recognise
identical messages, provided the seed cannot be brute forced (typically
the seed length is 160 bits, so there is scope for some bias without
allowing brute force).

> If the "random" output is related, then it depends on the details.

The important point is whether the OAEP outputs are related in an
exploitable way, i.e. in a way that interacts badly with the RSA function=
,
to a greater extent for low exponents than for full exponents. That seems=

unlikely, considering the details of how OAEP is defined.

> Note that this is not just a theoritical possibility, apparently the
> Russian VERONA transcripts were using a OTP and somehow the OTP was
> caused to repeat or the RNG repeat or something.

That's a very different case: VENONA relied on biases and repeats in a
stream that was directly XOR'd against the message. The security of an
OTP relies critically on the keystream being uniformly and independently
distributed; the security of RSA-OAEP does not rely on the same for the
seed. (In general, the extent to which a cryptographic scheme or protocol=

relies on the quality of its random inputs can vary dramatically; for
example DSA *does* rely on uniformly and independently distributed seeds,=

as shown by the recent attacks.)

In summary, I don't think that potential RNG problems are a good reason
for choosing full exponent RSA-OAEP over low exponent RSA-OAEP. Choose
whether to use low exponents based on performance requirements and other
security arguments.

- -- =

David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 0=
1
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has b=
een
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org=
/rip

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 06:19:44 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Key escrow based on BBS

> I was wondering after all the Key Escrow debackle in the mid 90s has an=
yone
> suggested this trivial solution?

The "key escrow debacle" was not about whether it was technically possibl=
to escrow keys assuming the co-operation of all potential users. The
disagreement was about whether it was useful, secure, or desirable to do
so, and about whether any criminals would co-operate.

Every so often I still see papers propose some variant of centralised key=

escrow (for example in [BF01], which otherwise includes some very useful
and interesting ideas). I wonder why they bother - the argument for key
escrow has been thoroughly lost. Even supposedly consensual key recovery
(cf. the ADK feature in PGP) causes more security problems than it is wor=
th.
Secure backup of keys in such a way that they can be restored by the owne=
is one thing; creating deliberate side doors [*] in cryptosystems is quit=
another.

[The standard counter, particularly for encryption in business contexts, =
the assertion that only a key holder should have access to their key, is
"What happens if the key holder dies?" I'm not at all convinced by that
argument - if there is information essential to the running of a business=
,
what was it doing encrypted to an individual in the first place? It proba=
bly
should have been encrypted to a set of keys associated with a r=F4le, so =
that
it can be decrypted by any current holder of that r=F4le. An important
difference between that and key recovery is that there is never a master
key that can decrypt any message. For strictly personal data, OTOH, if a
person doesn't want to provide any way to decrypt that data after their
death, then what exactly is the problem?]

BTW, your Elgamal/BBS-based protocol doesn't achieve anything more than
encrypting K again with the escrow agent's public key, and is more comple=
x.

[*] A back door is a way of bypassing a security mechanism that is kept s=
ecret.
    A side door is a way of bypassing a security mechanism that the desig=
ner
    tries to convince you that you wanted.

[BF01] Dan Boneh, Matthew Franklin,
       "Identity-Based Encryption from the Weil Pairing,"
       http://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/abstracts/ibe.html

- -- =

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 06:25:25 +0100
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>