--- begin forwarded text

Subject: Re: MacOS 8.7 Security
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:29:02 -0700
From: Mark Talbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Robert Hettinga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sender: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On or about 5/15/99 2:23 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>From: Somebody
>Subject: Re: MacOS 8.7 Security
>
>If you believe the spin in this bullshit, I have a bridge to sell you. The
>encryption is exportable, and the multi-user logon security is from At
>Ease, its designed for K-12 schools. There is nothing "military level"
>about any of this.

The phrase "military level" carries about the same weight of meaning as
"scientifically designed".

After attending their creative typing class, the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] put forth:

[stuff deleted]

>     One very interesting note on technology demonstrated under Sonata at
>WWDC: users will be able to log into their computers by voiceprint
>indentification. This technology is considered very reliable, is not easily
>faked by recordings and such, and can be backed up with a normal text
>password if the user is sick, loses their voice, etc.

I watched the demo & I don't recall any claims being made about
"voiceprint identification". As far as I could tell the only new thing
was you can now speak your pass phrase instead of typing it. If your pass
phrase is "Soylent Green is people", I don't think the OS is going to be
able to discern biometrically who speaks it.

[stuff deleted]

MST

--
When you're right you're right, and when you're wrong, you're most likely
Microsoft.

-Anon

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA