 John> At 01:50 PM 8/2/99 -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
 >>  I only remember a few proposals (2 or 3?) and they didn't seem to
 >> be [unduly weak].  Or do you feel that what I've proposed is this
 >> weak?  If so, why?  I've seen comments that say "be careful" but I
 >> don't remember any comments suggesting that what I proposed is
 >> completely bogus...
 >>
 >> We can waste lots of cycles having cosmic discussions, but that's
 >> not helping matters.  What we need is a minimum of ONE decent
 >> quality additional entropy source, one that works for diskless
 >> IPSEC boxes.

 John> OK, I see four proposals on the table.  (If I've missed
 John> something, please accept my apologies and send a reminder.)

 John> ...2) Network timing

 John> Discussion:

 John> ...
 John> 2) Network timing may be subject to observation and possibly
 John> manipulation by the attacker.  My real-time clocks are pretty
 John> coarse (10ms resolution).

But that's not what I proposed.  I said "CPU cycle counter".  Pentiums
and up have those (and for all I know maybe older machines too, I'm no
x86 wizard).  If the best you have is a 10 ms clock then this proposal
does NOT apply -- for the reason you stated.

        paul