At 05:44 PM 8/2/99 -0400, Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:
>http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:h.r.02617:
>
>I'm sure you'll all be enthusiastic about the chance to save your
>company tax money.

Amazing!  Despite the title, this seems to be a retro-active tax break for
all developers
of snake-oil and other poorly concieved or poorly implemented cryptography.

>  Tax Relief for Responsible Encryption Act of 1999 (Introduced in the
House) H. R. 2617

>  To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a tax credit for
development costs of encryption products with plaintext
>  capability without the user's knowledge.
>  [...]
>  (1) IN GENERAL- The term `encrypted product-plaintext capability
development costs' means amounts paid or
>          incurred in connection with the development of computer software
allowing for a plaintext access capability
>          without the user's knowledge of such access at the time such
access occurs through any method, including the
>          following methods:
>  [...]
>       (D) [***>] Any other technique or methodology [<***] that may be created
that allows timely access to plaintext or
>               decryption information.

Truly, a cleverly worded bill.  Does anyone know what vendors are behind
it?  :-)

David P. Jablon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.IntegritySciences.com