On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:

> Finally, I think thought should be given to the question of how to
> use copious hardware random number generators on systems where they
> are available. These could include on-chip RNGs, like the Pentium
> III's, sound cards with noise input, HRNG boxes connected to a serial
> or USB port, or even video cameras. I have located a number of
> relatively inexpensive hardware RNG solution
> (http://world.std.com/~reinhold/truenoise.html). I suspect they would
> be used more if they were fully supported in the OS.

I have written a piece of software that may be of assistance here.

audio-entropyd periodically reads audio from a stereo soundcard and
feeds the difference between the left and right channels into
/dev/random (via SHA1).

The time between reads, size of the input buffer, length of the hash
and number of bits credited to the KRNG are all user configurable.

There is an alpha version at:

http://toad.ilogic.com.au/~dmiller/files/audio-entropyd-0.0.0.tar.gz

Regards,
Damien Miller