On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Robert Hettinga wrote:

<skipping over the Industrial Revolution and the Louisiana Purchase>

> We must also recognize the inherent security risks posed by the
> spread of and dependence on "open systems" and ready accessibility.
> The Defense Department's situation is typical.

Making open, publicly-reviewed systems readily accessible is a security
goal, not a threat.  We all benefit from the use of open source software
that is reviewed by anyone that wants to look at it, anytime they want to
look at it, without any NDAs or other restrictions.