At 11:51 AM -0500 10/18/99, Mike Rosing wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Peter Wayner wrote:
>
>> Stefan Brands, the man who's written some great digital cash
>> protocols, has just published a new book called "Building In Privacy:
>> Rethinking public key infrastructures and digital certificates." I
>> haven't read it yet, but a quick skim shows   plenty of equations. It
>> should be worth checking out.
>
> I've only barely managed to get thru half the first chapter, but it's
> great.  Stefan's biases are clear, but also backed up with *lots* of
> good facts.  I'm learning a lot, and haven't got to the meat of things
> yet.
>  Only 500 copies were printed, I consider myself exceptionally lucky to
> have a copy.  Hopefully I'll have more chance to read it in the next
> few weeks.

Yup. My favorite part so far is this juicy paragraph, found right up
front:

"This dissertation documents and analyzes the privacy dangers of digital
certificates. On the basis of the findings, highly practical digital
certificates are constructed that fully preserve privacy, without
sacrificing security.  The new certificates function in much the same way
as do cash, stamps, cinema tickets, subway tokens, and so on: anyone can
establish the validity of these certificates and the data they specify,
but no more than just that. Furthermore, different actions by the same
person cannot be linked."

Can you say "digital bearer certificates", boys and girls? *Goooood*. I
*knew* you could...

And, of course, I'm now in the business of proving that such digital
bearer certificates are not only more private than book-entry,
database-driven "credentials" are, but that they're, more important than
anything else, orders of magnitude *cheaper* than those "auditable"
credentials can ever be, by their own very definition. And, of course,
money, and financial instruments in general, are the ultimate credential.
Money talks, &Cet...

But, I bet you knew I'd say all *that*, right? I mean, so what else is
new?

And, so, besides saying "go, Stefan, go,", or "say halelujia somebody",
here's the actual *point* of this post:

We've started to get some angel funds in the door (we're still looking
for more, of course :-)) for this next phase of IBUC, and, as a result,
I'm about about to go spend some of those brand-new "sophisticated"
investor-dollars on a road-trip, coming soon to conference room near you.

This first trip is to line up memoranda of understanding (MOUs) from
people who sell bits (content, services, bandwidth) directly over the
net, collect their money by sending a bill through meatspace, or selling
a credit-card subscription -- or, of course, sell advertising, the
world's worst transfer pricing mechanism.

If you're one of those folks, a *current* seller of bits on the wire, and
you want to get paid good-old-fashioned non-repudiable *cash* for for
those bits, instantaneously upon delivery, and, more important, you want
to be able to turn right around *spend* that cash on the net, for free,
or to *deposit* that cash, for free, into your *own* bank account with no
hassle except a reasonably small minimum deposit size, please reply
directly to me, and I'll come for a visit. My objective here is to get a
reasonable statistical sample of the internet content and services market
signed up with a memorandum of understanding, committing to at least
experiment with taking internet bearer dollars (or, more properly,
millidollars) in payment, if and when when we get those millidollars on
the wire.

With that stack of memoranda in hand, I'll go and wave it around under
the nose of the *next* collection of MOUs, this time from IBUC's
prospective vendor pool: crypto-protocol, hardware, and software
developers, bandwidth sellers, financial custodians and, heh, lawyers.
Most of whom already know who they are, and who, God help 'em, know I'm
going to be back to visit sooner or later.

After that, we hire the writing of a public spec and open reference
customer/server/underwriter code and, after *that*... Well, *you* get the
idea.

We want to go live in January 1, 2001, and, this afternoon, at least, I
think we can get there from here.

Stefan has me *inspired*, today.

Cheers,
RAH

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA