--- begin forwarded text

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:20:08 +0300
Subject: Re: Micro Payments BOF in the next IETF (Nov 99, Wash DC)
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reminder:  the Micro Payments BOF at the next IETF (in Wahington DC) will occur
on
Monday, Nov. 8th, at 1530-1730. Enclosed are the current agenda (subject to
change - proposals welcome) and description. Notice that at least we (IBM) plan
to describe in details our payment messages, to facilitate interoperable
implementations and to serve as potential basis for a standard.

Unfortunately, I found out I'll not be able to go to the IETF as I must be in
another place. I'm exteremly disappointed and very sorry; I was looking forward
to this event and to meet many of you in face to face. In coordination with the
area director, Ilan Zisser (cc:ed) will chair the BOF instead of me.
Ilan Zisser
is IBM Micro Payments product manager, and while less of you know him, he is
probably a better person to present our stuff anyway as he is the one doing the
implementation -and also since I think he is better in explaining things. Also
I'm sure he will chair the session fairly.

Please excuse cross posting - and forward to relevant persons and groups.
Thanks!

Agenda:

    15:30-15;40: Welcome and review of agenda - Ilan Zisser
    15:40-15:50 Report on  the W3C Micropayments Markup spec -Thierry Michell,
    W3C
    16:00-16:40 Release 1.3 of IBM Micro Payments implementation of the W3C
    Micropayments Markup spec, and our goals for the standard - Ilan Zisser, IBM
    16:40-16:50 Mark Manasse (Compaq): what we're (MilliCent) hoping for in a
    standard
    16:50-16:55 Bob Hettinga on `IBUC's intent to fund
    open-source reference software (wallet/registerware and underwriting
    server) for bearer millidollar transactions conforming to an open
    standard. Which probably means this standard, if...` (there's
always an if in
    these thing isn't there :-) - A.H.)
    16:55-17:10 reserved for additional brief presentations on implementations
    and positions on the standard
    17:10-17:25 Discussion - should IETF form a WG to define a (micro) payment
    standard? If so what should be the charter/goals? Should we simply define an
    open standard for interoperating with IBM Micro Payments (rather than
    pre-define that this is `the` micropayments standard - allow for competing
    proposals to be standardized as well and see what people will adopt), or
    should we compare different approaches and designs (are such available in
    open form)?
    17:25-17:30 Summary by Ilan Zisser and/or area director.

Description - Micro Payments BOF (micropay):

The Internet is quickly becoming the prefered method of delivery for
information
and on-line services. The growth of
this industry is resticted by the limited availability of secure online payment
mechanisms, especially for small amounts. Micropayments are designed to allow
charging of small amounts, where the minimal fees of credit-card payments are
unacceptable. There have been, and still are, many attempts at providing a
micropayments solution, however so far none of them was successful, and in
particular none of the deployed systems seems to be able to reach critical mass
of buyers and sellers. Furthermore, even if one or more of these systems gain
popularity, the lack of standardization may slow down their availability. In
this BOF we'll review some recent micropayment markup standardization spec from
the W3C, and discuss whether the IETF should attempt to contribute standards in
this area  - i.e. should we create a micropayments WG (and if so what would its
charter and goals be).

Best Regards,
Amir Herzberg
Manager, E-Business and Security Technologies
IBM Research Lab in Haifa (Tel Aviv Office)
http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com
New e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Lotus notes mail: amir herzberg/haifa/ibm@IBMIL

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA