> Apparently they have been published now. I waited for the day of
> publication, not the second, which I hope is sufficient.

I found them on the Federal Register site, in the "Documents Published
Today" page.  They are published.  Here's their URL:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_register&docid=00-983-filed

That document states: "This rule is effective January 14, 2000."

Congratulations, Wei, I believe you're the first to legally publish
strong encryption in machine-readable form from the US.

> Someone also sent me an email saying the new rules have not taken effect
> because the public has 120 days to respond to the proposal. My
> understanding is that the rules have taken effect AND the public has
> 120 days to respond to it.

That is correct.

        John