Phil Karn wrote:

>I believe the anti-Tempest provisions have been in the export regs
>for some time.

Yes, but when did they appear? We're attempting to trace
Tempest's origin -- not easy because of classification of
so much stuff. One classified standard dates to 1967. A
French article on Tempest in December 99 states:

"The initiators of this technique is the Bulgarian secret service
(formed by the KGB) which placed modified vans around
embassies or important companies."

No date for the initiation. Is the claim accurate?

We've read hints that some of the earliest research concerned
naval vessels whose  metal structure was discovered to be
acting as unintentional antennas. Then, later, planes, other
equipment  and architectural/engineering elements of buildings.

We would appreciate information on the history of Tempest.
Not asking for classified/NDA info just dates, say, or what kind of
discoveries led to the technology. And when it went into the
export control regs.

Who knows what emanates compromising information these
days as the sensitivity of instruments and capabilities of
EM interception and analysis increases.

Thank you very much.