>>"a.4. Specially designed or modified to reduce the compromising
>>emanations of information-bearing signals beyond what is necessary
>>for the health, safety or electromagnetic interference standards;"

>So, who gets to say what's a standard?

>Some people's standards are higher than the government
>(e.g., varieties of 'organic'; kosher; etc).

This is especially true for radio amateurs (hams) doing "weak-signal"
work on the VHF (30-300 MHz) and UHF (300-3000 MHz) bands. Some of the
propagation modes used include tropospheric scatter; meteor trail
reflection; satellite communications; and the ultimate, EME
(earth-moon-earth, i.e., using the moon as a passive reflector).

Natural background and modern receiver noise levels are all very low
on these bands, so unwanted computer emissions have long been a
serious problem. (Modern CPU clock speeds are now well into the UHF
region). Simply meeting the FCC Class B (residential) emission limits
is not nearly enough. Those regulations were intended to protect
broadcast receivers working with signals considerably stronger than
those involved in amateur weak-signal work.

So ever since the first personal computer appeared in a ham shack,
hams have been trying to shield, bypass and otherwise suppress their
interfering signals. Some approaches resemble those taken in Tempest
equipment: special filters on power and signal lines; metal equipment
cases with insulating paint removed and resealed with finger stock and
copper tape; plastic cases coated with conductive paint; and so forth.

I still have an early-80's clone monochrome PC monitor that I
extensively modified in this way. It's obsolete, but it's quiet.  And
it was all "necessary for (my) electromagnetic interference
standards".

Phil