perry metzger wrote:

> The Biham&Shamir book is out of print. Do you have references
> to the papers you mention? URLs or whatever...

the matsui paper is on pg 1 of the crypto '94 proceedings,
ed. by yvo desmedt.  unfortunately, my copy of b&s is still
packed, so i can't look up their self-citations.  there is
an extended abstract of b&s' initial announcement on p. 2
of the crypto '90 proceedings, ed. by menezes.  their book
is worth seeking out via inter-library loan, or perhaps biham
has some sort of xerox'ed version he can send you.  it's
quite well-written.  you might check biham's site, linked
to by rivest's, because he has a few papers on-line there.

btw, when b&s announced their result at the crypto '90 meeting,
a friend of mine from project athena was present.  apparently,
the conf organizers asked people not to lend their copies of
the pre-proceedings out to non-attendees, because the diff'l
cryptanalysis result was still considered somehow sensitive.
nevertheless, when my friend left athena, i inherited his copy.
not much there, though, and i threw it out during a move a
couple of years ago, because i now have the springer edition
of those proceedings.

                                - don davis, boston

-