>It would be interesting to find out how gaming machines generate their
>"random" numbers. Do they use hardware of software?

*Extremely* well-studied PRNG's, for the most part, implemented in
software.  Sometimes they're seeded by using physical timing, sometimes
not.  Sometimes output shaping is used to guarantee/limit return
on the machines, which is when it all gets very complex.

There are some legislative requirements for this in most localities
which allow gaming.  It is an area of active interest to the
relevant authorities.  I have some of the Australian legislative
requirements around my office somewhere.

--
Ian Farquhar
Senior Systems Engineer

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]