somewhat related to the early posting in this m.l. about distributed computing systems conference and possible interest from security and cryptography sections.

when my wife and I were doing ha/cmp
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp
we were working with two people in the following meeting in ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

who the following year, left and joined a small client/server startup and were responsible for something called the commerce server (the company also had this thing called https/SSL). we then worked with these two people on the implementation for payments for the thing called the commerce server and well as the infrastructure regarding
trusting online merchants (as part of promoting this whole thing that came to be called electronic commerce):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3
and more recent posting in the same thread that I had also posted about buffer overflows and the multics study:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003j.html#15 A Dark Day

in any case, one of the jokes has been there are actually only 200 people in the industry.

in any case, back to the recent related thread on distributed system operation:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#70 A few Z990 Gee-Wiz stats
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#72 A few Z990 Gee-Wiz stats
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003j.html#3 A few Z990 Gee-Wiz stats
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003j.html#7 A few Z990 Gee-Wiz stats

and past posts discussing the BBB aspects for online electronic commerce:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay3.htm#sslset2 "SSL & SET Query" ... from usenet group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm2.htm#useire U.S. & Ireland use digital signature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm4.htm#0 Public Key Infrastructure: An Artifact...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm4.htm#2 Public Key Infrastructure: An Artifact...