At 01:14 AM 10/1/2003 +0300, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
So, anyway, anybody know references? I've not come across any yet.

I know that the technique dates back (at least) to IBM in the 60s. I used to know the name of the inventor but can't bring it to mind at the moment. The Berkeley UNIX library dbm uses essentially this philosophy, but the tree is not binary; rather each node stores up to one disk block's worth of pointers. Nodes split when they get too full. When the point is to handle a lot of data, this makes much more sense.

Hope that helps,
Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C