"R. A. Hettinga" wrote:

> At 2:16 PM -0700 10/2/03, bear wrote:
> >That's not anonymity, that's pseudonymity.
>
> It seems to me that perfect pseudonymity *is* anonymity.

Conventionally, I think, Anonymity is when one
publishes a pamphlet of political criticism, and
there is no name on the pamphlet.

When the same person publishes a second pamphlet,
there is nothing to connect the two.  (Other than
style, of course.)

Psuedonymity would result if "Whielacronx" were
to appear on both pamphlets, so the readers could
establish a reputational link between the pamplets.

Anonymity doesn't support a connection.  Now, I
think there is value in trying to use these terms
as much as possible in alignment with their old
world roots.  But that might not always be possible....

So, in this sense, on the net, it is impossible
to open a connection anonymously.  The TCP/IP
connection system requires a source IP number,
and then allocates a port.  So a psuedonym of
IP/port gets allocated for the length of the
connection.

> Frankly, without the ability to monitor reputation, you don't have ways of
> controlling things like transactions, for instance.

Bearer tokens normally achieve untraceability, in
the pure technical sense.  As most bearer systems
include a conventional identity based account of
some form, the notion of anonymity is confusing,
as certain actions can reverse the untraceability
and reveal the identities of the accounts.  E.g.,
double spending.

Of course, in the media and literature, anonymity
is widely used to refer to untraceable bearer
tokens.  As anonymity isn't so useful in its own
right, there appears to be few real problems with
this usage, until one starts bandying around more
than one concept.

Psuedonymous systems for transactions are normally
the reverse:  traceable, but one can only see the
chosen psuedonym, and that is not directly related
to any other info that might be useful.

But you knew all that :-)

> Who's also curious about exactly what "Whielacronx" means... ;-).

My guess is that it is what Zooko's son says when he
is learning his name.

iang