We've heard a bit recently from certain parties, especially Ian Grigg,
claiming that one should use a "cost/benefit analysis" before using
TLS. The claim seems to be that it provides more protection than one
really needs.

However, there are many perfectly free (in both senses) TLS
implementations, and the added protocol components needed for
providing the protection that one may or may not need do not
substantially change the cost in practice of running the protocols.

We also do not have well studied protocols that provide lesser
protection, or a very good analysis of what the security properties
are of such theoretical protocols. Developing such protocols with
lower standards may be a substantial challenge if our past experience
with protocol development is any indication.

I would argue that most of the comments made claiming that TLS has a
"cost" associated with it are therefore specious.

To those making these public statements, this is all a theoretical
concern. To me, however, this is a day to day nightmare I face in my
practice. Ad hoc protocols are almost universally filled with
problems.

A few days ago I saw yet another example of an in house ad hoc
protocol with what I can only describe as extraordinarily poor
properties, which is being used to protect financial transactions. The
author of the protocol is a very smart guy who knew nothing about
cryptography. He could have easily used TLS, and have used it with
much less effort than he actually spent, and would not have had these
problems. However, he didn't think he needed something "that
complicated", so in the typical way of such things he spent more time
and effort doing something far less secure.

This is, sadly, a routine sort of discovery.

To Ian, it is important that we do a detailed analysis and see whether
or not the free (in both senses) and well understood protocol is "cost
effective", never mind that the cost is in practice zero, or even
negative when compared to other protocols.

To me, it is important that we have at-hand cryptographic tools that
cover the needs of a wide variety of users, many of whom do not
understand the implications of their design decisions and who are not
going to gain anything from using a not-really-but-we'll-pretend "less
complicated" protocol.

By the way, I could make far more money custom designing protocols for
the needs of each customer. If there really was a "Guild of
Cryptographers" we'd be making money left and right by following the
process that Ian in effect recommends and trying to tailor ad hoc
protocols for everyone carefully designed to do no more than
necessary, and then taking yet more money fixing the mess when it
turns out that we're wrong.

The era of ad hoc protocols, however, has passed, just as the era
where every computer-using company built its own new languages and
operating systems has long passed. We no longer have economic
justification for that sort of thing, and we no longer have economic
justification for everyone rolling their own protocols either.

Perry