At 05:52 AM 11/14/2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:

Does anyone have robust code to generate globally unique IDs which won't break XML parsing,
and work on several platforms?

I was thinking of using an entropy pool to seed a cryptographic PRNG, used to
generate a sequence of SHA-1 hashes, dumped to an XML-armored representation.

This is what GUIDs/UUIDs were designed for, and they're used broadly. They're standardized in ISO 11578 [1], although there's a very similar public description in an expired Internet Draft [2]. Microsoft also publishes a description of how they generate their GUIDs, but I can't find it right now.

- Tim

[1]
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=2229&ICS1=35&ICS2=100&ICS3=70

[2]