On Monday 14 June 2004 13:31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
> > In OpenSSL we overwrite with random gunk for this reason.
>
> What?  No compiler is smart enough to say, "The program
> sets these variables but they are never referenced again.
> I'll save time and not set them."

Most modern compilers can do flow analysis. The common case is
that the variable is a local variable in some function, and
even very simplistic flow analysis will detect the case that
a variable is "dead", i.e. that its value will never be used.
All operations on a dead variable, like overwriting its
value will be removed by the compiler.
The same is true for instance variables in most object-oriented
languages.

Ernst Lippe