On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> another purpose -- preserving the privacy of drivers by using more
> complicated protocols. However, as the benefit of such systems is to
> people who are unlikely to have much voice in the construction of the
> system, and who are also unlikely to be willing to pay more money to
> gain privacy, I think the implementation of such tags is unlikely.

I think it would be easier to provide drivers with a simpler method of
turning off their transponder. Recently ordered FasTrak tokens come with a
mylar bag for this purpose, which is too unwieldy. A switch, however,
might be enough.

This would not prevent an adversary from recording the IDs of cars that
pass through toll gates. It would, however, prevent reading those IDs at
other times.

-David