On 15 Jul 2004, at 9:36 PM, Aram Perez wrote:

I'm not sure if PGP deliberately set out to confuse naïve users since their
logo has been the padlock for a while. Many web sites have their logo
displayed on the address bar (and tab) when you go to there site, see
http://www.yahoo.com or http://www.google.com. Maybe Jon can answer the
question.

(Sent from this account, since I am subscribed from here.)

This is a favicon -- a logo icon for the site. Lots of sites use them. PGP has had this on our for a couple of years, now. I vaguely remember there being one in The Dark Days, but I could be misremembering. This is the first bit of confusion I've heard about it.

PGP's logo icon has been a padlock at least since the O'Reilly book used it in January of '95. This is before there even was an SSL. That particular icon is the very same one that was used as the tray icon in some version of PGP or other (we think PGP 7).

We're giving this all due consideration. Would it help if we changed the metal, perhaps from the current four-plane brass to eight-plane steel or even to alpha-channel Jolly Rancher iridescent translucent anodized titanium?

        Jon