 Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:19:49 EDT
 To: CyberProf List . . .
 From: "Peter D. Junger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: Re: Source code distribution restrictions as speech restrictions

 I will try to respond without quoting at length from Eugene's message
since I think that the basic difference that we have has to do with our
differing understandings of the nature of computer programs, including
source code and that it is probably easier to address that difference
directly.

 In the first place I cannot see how source code differs significantly from
any other computer program or, for that matter, from any other data stored
or transmitted as text, including as a string or stream of binary digits.

 Something very important seems to be missing from Eugene's thought
experiment: any reference to a computer. Yet it is a computer, and not a
computer program, that corresponds to Eugene's machine gun. The computer
and the machine gun are both tangible objects that persist for a period of
time in three dimensional space. Source code or any other data that is
processable by a computer is, on the other hand, pure information--nothing
more or less than a pattern or a number--and though a representation of
that information can be stored in, or on, some tangible medium like a
compact disk or a piece of paper, that compact disk or piece of paper is
not the source code or other data. (This is, I believe, equivalent to the
fact that in the law of copyright a copy of a work fixed in a tangible
medium of expression is not the intangible work itself.)

 Come to think of it, one can merge the machine gun and the source code by
etching the source code on the side of the machine gun, just as runes used
to be etched on sword blades or the words ``drink me'' were affixed to the
bottle that Alice came across at the bottom of the rabbit hole. Frankly I
don't see how that could somehow make it unconstitutional for the state to
outlaw the possession of the sword or the machine gun or the pure food and
drug people to outlaw the sale and distribution of the liquid contents of
Alice's bottle.

 But I would rather focus on the computer, rather than on the example of
the compact disk, because a compact disk just sits there and doesn't do
anything by itself whereas the computer --like the machine gun--actually
does something and so is functional in the way that a machine gun is
functional and source code, whether or not fixed in a tangible medium,
isn't.

 There is, of course, an important distinction between the functionality of
a machine gun and that of a computer. The function of a machine gun is to
kill. The function of a computer, on the other hand, is to compute, and to
compute is to process information.

 Computers, by the way, used to be people, who came equipped with ten
digits. Modern computers, on the other hand, are machines that are wired
(or otherwise structured) to process information represented as binary
digits.

 Now, since the computer has to a large extent replaced printing presses
and linotype machines, I find it difficult to believe that the freedom of
the press protected by the first amendment would permit the outlawing of
computers even though the need for a well regulated militia protected by
the second amendment does not forbid the outlawing of machine guns.

 But Eugene's thought experiment does not deal with computers so I do not
need to pursue the question of whether computers can be outlawed
constitutionally.

 All that a computer does is process information. Data encoded in the form
of binary digits--which can be called ``source code''--is fed into a
computer which then processes that data in accordance with way in which it
is wired and outputs other data encoded in the form of binary digits--which
can, if one wishes, be called ``object code.'' Now rewiring a computer is
called programming a computer, and that object code can--if it satisfies
various syntactical requirements--be fed into the computer in a way that
causes the computer to be reprogrammed, that is, to be rewired. But the
program does not do anything and it certainly does not rewire the computer.
To run the program someone must, directly or indirectly, flick a switch
that causes the computer to rewire itself in accordance with the
specifications (the ``instructions'' or the ``description'') contained in
the program. And it is the computer that, like the machine gun, has the
moving parts and thus does the functioning.

 Another way to put it is that all that a computer does is to manipulate
text. The input is text, the program is text, and the output is text. And
all that source code, or any other code, is is text.

 Now, of course, the protections of the first amendment are not absolute,
so the writing and publication of source code, like any other text, can be
forbidden if there is a strong enough justification. But, since code in no
way resembles a machine gun, its resemblance to a machine gun cannot be
that justification.

 And by the way, the fact that some text may be too ``functional'' to be
copyrighted in no way suggests that it is not protected by the first
amendment. If a text is useless there is, in fact, little reason to give it
first amendment protection.

 This was written in considerable haste and undoubtedly contains large gaps
in its reasoning. I have, however, some other work to do, and so I will end
it here.

 After I posted that response to the Cyberprof list, I received the
following inquiry off list:
 Just out of curiosity, would you liken software to the thought processes
that are used to control the computer (and the machine gun)? If so, would
restrictions on source code be more akin to thought control, rather then
restrictions on devices?

 Here is my response to that question:
 [T]he quick answer is that I think of computers properly programmed as
prosthetics that help us think (and perceive) like glasses and hearing aids
and paper and pencils (and the invention of the alphabet and of
mathematical notations) and so I do think that restrictions of software and
also on computers amount to thought control.

 Consider the fact that there is hardly anyone left in the world who can
calculate square roots now that it is so easy to do the calculation using a
calculator.

 I consider doing arithmetical and logical calculations to be a (very
small) part of what is involved in thought, but they definitely are thought
processes.

 (I wouldn't say though that the thought processes are programs if one
considers a program to be text. Programs are not processes, they are
descriptions of or instructions for implementing a process.)2

For discussions of related issues see the entries on Expression Has Nothing
to Do with It, Publishing Bombmaking Information and the First Amendment,
and Copyright and the Confusion of ``Software''.

 Next: August 2, 2004  Up: August 6, 2004  Previous: August 6, 2004
Contents  Peter D. Junger 2004-08-07
--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>